Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My above ground pool is frozen over to the point that the…

My above ground pool...

My above ground pool is frozen over to the point that the water level has dropped below the skimmer intake (5th straight day of below freezing). Should I shut off pump or keep running? Temps are to rise tomorrow

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

Bought house from another owner...let me check to see if they left manual

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes everyone is closed today

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sand pump

1/7/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

S​hut the pump off, otherwise you run the risk of burning it up. It is not going to circulate the water properly, and will only draw air into the system. The climate and time of year are at there lowest and the chemicals in the pool will not break down like they do in the summertime. A few days is not going to hurt anything if the system isn't running.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

I shut it down...I do think I have a leak due to the amount of water around the yard. Pool lost about 4 inches in depth. Do you think I should fill up pool again until I can get leak fix and run pump? It will be another 7 days until leak detection company can come out.

I​t depends on where the leak is located. If it is on any of the plumbing, running the pump will just pump it out, if it is leaking through the pool shell, then running the pump with the water level at the proper height will be fine. You just do not want to run the pump so it sucks in air. This will burn out the pump.

As of this posting I have not been able to locate any additional information on this specific issue, and since I have not received any reply or feedback from the recommendations I mentioned above, I trust they have been helpful in resolving this problem. However, if you are still needing additional assistance, please let me know by using the reply box below, otherwise I will proceed in closing out this question.

Thank you,

Dave

Thank you, ***** *****

You are most welcome and enjoy the new year.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Thank you,

Dave