Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I just purchased a PowerFlo Matrix Pump and I am getting…

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a PowerFlo Matrix Pump and I am getting about 24 to 32 oz. of water leak under the pump that appears to be coming from the seals. Is this normal. I had a Hayward technician look at it that said it wasn't a pump seal but I continue to get daily consistent leak amount.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It's brand new. Installed it on December 22nd and it has been a problem since installing it. I control it by putting a bath towel rolled up b/t the pump and filter that absorbs all the water in a 24 hour period. I change the towel every day.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I had a handyman help with the initial installation, then I had a pool company recommended by Hayward to look at the problem. He modified some of the plumbing but denied the leak. After he left, I found the problem still existed. He said he replaced an O ring and the seal wasn't a problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The pump filter kit works very well otherwise. There are only 2 other minor leak at 1 and 4 oz a day that I am monitoring and can be easily fixable. There has been no change in the amount of water the bath towels seem to be aborbing daily from the bottom of the pump at the seals.

1/7/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

L​eaks around any pool equipment are not normal and need to be corrected to prevent future major problems. If the pump seal is not leaking, I would check around all the fittings and find where the water is coming from both while the pump is running and when it is off. Leaks do not cure themselves and eventually the pump will lose the prime and may cause severe damage or pump burnout. If you can upload a few photos I will try to guide to the logical leak source.

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified
Based on what you told me I will need to call the technician back again to re-evaluate the problem. The pump is under warranty so I can send it back to Hayward for repair or replacement but in the interim I won’t have the ability to filter the swim spa - Swimex
Phone call session started

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave