Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Need to find out if i have to drain my hot tub before

Need to find out...

Need to find out if i have to drain my hot tub before replacing the temp sensor

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Great lakes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ottawa series

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hope to

1/2/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

I​s the temperature sensor a screw on type or a clamp on type?

Screw on

Ok if you have isolation valve on either side of the sensor you can close those off and change out the sensor. You will most likely lose water depending on how the sensor is placed (vertically or horizontally) plus the system will still be under some pressure. If you are quick you can switch out the sensor pretty fast, however if you make a error or cross thread the fitting you may lose a lot more water. You should also use Teflon tape on the threads which will take some time allowing the water to keep draining. Also note once you do this air will enter into the system that will need to be purged, otherwise you will start getting error codes.

The sensor is in the wall of the tub with a thumb screw backing . Inside the tub it looks like it's in a rubber housing. Was wondering if the rubber will stay in with the tub when I un screw the retainer

D​oes the replacement sensor come with the rubber grommet? If not and the old sensor will slide out easily you should be ok, however if it doesn't budge easy, chances are the rubber is dried out and won't reseal.

Replacement did not come with one. . Didn't move when I pulled on the are sensor so leaking toward the thumb retainer is holding the gasket and the gasket is holding the sensor.

O​k... I think if it were me doing the work I would make sure I can catch or stop the water pretty quick should something go wrong, otherwise draining it partially might be a safer way to go.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Apologies thoughtthis was a closed issue . I had to drain . Thanks didn't fix my issue but the sensor is replaced

Thanks for the reply, happy to read everything is working, and enjoy the new year.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified