Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a Gatsby or Blue Ridge three person spa 115V that I…

I have a Gatsby...

I have a Gatsby or Blue Ridge three person spa 115V that I love. It is currently tripping the power cord ground fault. It has a ground fault on the control panel as well, but is tripping the power cord overload. It happens intermittently, sometimes minutes or an hour or so, but never right away.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Gatsby, i assume. It says

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have had other repairs done on it recently, but have a hard time getting them out. I have experience working on electronics in the past, ie major appliances for 15 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have turned off the heater and i has been running now for over an hour.

1/2/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

The GFCI on the power cord may be weak that is causing it to trip intermittently, possibly when there is a large draw amount such as the heater coming on, or the pumps as they are the biggest load. You may or not be able to get a replacement cord, if not let me know and there are alternative ways that can be adapted so the system is still protected.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The cord is new and also replaced again for the same reason. He replaced a normal cord with a GFCI cord because he said it is the law, even though there is a GFCI on the control panel that doesn't trip

G​FCI's trip for various reasons, mainly when they sense a slight difference in resistance. That resistance comes from many things, motors, heaters, lights, shorts, etc. If the GFCI is designed to trip at say 15amps, and the heater comes on drawing 16amps, the GFCI will trip every time. Also if the cord is rated at 15amps and the control panel GFCI is 20amps, the cord will always trip 1st. This is just an example, but you need to determine what is that added current draw that is causing the trip. It could also be motor capacitors starting to fail, or an overload on some of the smaller circuits on the control and circuit boards. You can isolate the problem by shutting down specific components and see when it trips when something is added.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I turned the heating element back on and it tripped within 10 minutes after being on without the heater for over an hour, so that pretty much leaves the heating element, right? There is also one terminal to the heater that is corroded and looks burnt. I can't get the terminal to pull off because of the corrosion. Is there a replacement for this heating element? It is a Gatsby 3 person 115V tub and is the same as the 3 person Blue Ridge.

T​hat is possible, however try a few different combinations, like, pump and heater no lights, lights and pump no heater, etc and see if something else is adding to the problem, just to be sure. Here are a couple of suppliers that should have a replacement heater. Just contact them direct.

https://www.spaguts.com/SpaHeaters.aspx

http://www.pool-spa-supplies.com/heaters/spa-heater-parts

https://www.spadepot.com/Spa-Parts-C630.aspx

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for your help

You are most welcome, and enjoy the new year.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified
David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified