Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have an LA spas hot tub and I just turned it on. I keep…

Customer Question
I have an LA...

I have an LA spas hot tub and I just turned it on. I keep getting error codes. 3 dots/lines and then it says Hr.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

All I know is that is in LA spas

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Earlier today, the filter light was flashing also. I took the filters out and replaced them again and nothing changed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Can you help me?
1/1/2018
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 3 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello

You are getting a flo and hi limit error. Did you just fill the tub?

If so, you likely have an airlock in your circulation pump. Your either use a 2 speed full size pump 1 to heat or have a dedicated smaller circulation pump. Do you know which? The circulation pump will be directly connected to the heater plumbing. If you are unsure, just upload some pics and I will be able to tell.

Do the jets work normally?

If it is not freezing cold where you are, your easiest method to resolve this may be to just drain the tub completely and refill it with the filters out and the hose placed inside the filter area. This will fill the pumps with water and allow them to prime themselves on startup.

Standing by.

We just filled it up. It is very cold here. We are in northern Utah. So draining it might be tough. I'll send pics to hopefully help answer your questions. We cannot get the jets working. The blinking lights and error codes is all we get.

You will see the jet pump to the left of the blue control box...it is connected by the plumbing. You will need to loosen the top union and let any air out of the plumbing. Just crack it until water begins to run out steady and re-tighten it. Now turn the power back on again and asap try to get both pumps into hi speed.

If frozen you will need to place a small electric heater in the equipment area and close the panel to warm everything. You either have an airlock in pump 1 and no flow through the heater OR you may have a very cold sensor and not allowing the tub to operate thinking it is too hot rather than too cold.

Standing by.

Standing by.

Ok. I unscrewed the side and let water run for about 15 seconds and tightened it back up. I turned it on and the very first code says r 1 and flashes and then says ll 5. After that, it goes back to flashing hr and the filter light keeps flashing.

You will need to let air/water out from the top fitting on pump 1...not sure what you mean by "side".

But lets move forward:

Hr is an internal equipment error, I suspect it may be from very cold air and water at the heater and sensors.

Place a small electric heater in the equipment compartment and close it up. Use a heater with a thermostat and set it about 3/4 the way up. Let it warm up inside there and try turning it on again in an hour or so. Keep it warm and try again a little later if no luck. If you can get the tub to stay on, get the pumps going hi speed immediately. If pump 1 is not flowing, try the air removal procedure again once warmed up. You must have proper flow through the heater for the tub to operate and it cannot be too cold to start up. Both problems on cold refills.

You may have something defective, but lets start with this first.

Standing by.

poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company