Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

We have a used 2008 Sundance Altamar 850 that had a FLO

Customer Question
We have a used...

We have a used 2008 Sundance Altamar 850 that had a FLO message on startup. We replaced both filter and flow sensor and the FLO message disappeared but no heating. We replaced the temperature sensor and the tub heated up to 39C, as set. Lovely hot tub that night but, next morning, we were down 5 degrees and it continues to drop. Down to 18 this morning. Checked the heater (silver vertical tube next to brain box) and no heat there. The orange heater light is on on brain box door and heater symbol is on display. e live at least 1 hr away from service techs and, due to distance, it is very expensive to have service call.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Subdance, as noted above

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure, ask your questions and we will find out :)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 day by:
12/29/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 7 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

From your description, it appears your heater is not working. Since the topside is showing "heat on" and you are not getting any errors, I would suspect the heater itself.

You will need a meter to test for voltage and continuity. First thing is to test if the heater is getting 230v. Test across both heater wire connections in the control box when the heater shows on. Do you have 230v or 0v?

If you have 230v, shut off the power and remove both heater wires from the board. Test across both heater wires to check for continuity. If you have no continuity across the heater wires, you have a bad heater or mechanical hi limit switch sometimes mounted against the heater. Check for continuity through the hi limit and again at the heater (testing past the hi limit to eliminate it) connections.

I suspect the heater itself or the mechanical hi limit if you have one. Some self reset and others have a button reset.

Standing by.