Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a balboa 500sz (older), breaker clicked (GCFI) and…

Customer Question
I have a balboa...

I have a balboa 500sz (older), breaker clicked (GCFI) and replaced the following: breaker, heater, and fixed leak in recirculation pump. Also, pump was jammed with couple of objects. Tub will come on, but won't heat up ...dry code. jet 1 doesn't seem to come on.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It hasn't been working for a year and daughter is home from college; so I am trying to fix it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, really no one in the area. Hoping it might be air lock, but I have tried to look at that also.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What I have looked at is sensors misreading, but they are new with the heater.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
I disconnected sensor a and B from spa pac. Plugged back in and hot tub ran for 1 minute then shut down with "dry" error code.
Answered in 1 day by:
12/29/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 5 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

Is pump 1 connected to the heater? Does the motor come on and nothing pumps...or no motor, nothing on pump 1?

Or, do you have a smaller dedicated circulation pump for heating? If so, is it flowing through the heater?

Standing by.

Recirculating pump is smaller and goes to heater. Pump 2 is working. It turns on in prime mode about 3 times , shuts down on third time with dr code and then dry code. Water level adequatel
Recirculating pump goes directly to the heater

I am sorry for the delay, I did not realise you replied yet.

I suspect you have a flow issue with the circulation pump/heater. You mention the sensors are new with the heater assembly so they are likely okay. Can you determine if the circulation pump is working? If not, we need to focus on that.

If so:

What I suggest you try is removing the heater connections at the heater or circuit board and disable the heater. Make sure the power is off and the connections are not touching anything when you power it back on. If you have the copper tabs, just remove the 3/8" nuts from the heater terminals and gently pry them up slightly so not touching.

Now restart the tub and let me know if you still get the dr code.

Standing by.