Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

We have a Pentair Pool system which is complex and not

Customer Question
We have a Pentair...

We have a Pentair Pool system which is complex and not supported by any human being that I can find. The interface is a Pentair Easy Touch control system than controls a number of things for the pool and the spa.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Pentair!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes :The interface is a Pentair Easy Touch control system than controls a number of things for the pool and the spa. The issue is that there is a heater for the pool and another for the Spa. At the controller interface we normally can quickly find Pool and Spa!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/18/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Tell me as much as you can about what the symptoms are please.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the service access door, and the and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I barely got to describe the issue before I was cut off to go to a credit card.
Then I asked for a call so that I can describe what the issue is.
Are you going to call me?

Hello again, calls are $25 addditional, you can accept or we can continue here.

Regarding my 13 minute lateness... most of us here are working professionals, I am an engineer, and fit these answers into my day so there can be some delays.

Opps. choose the $25 call, I loose my shirt on a $5 call. thanks

Hi there,
I never got to the point that I could describe my issue.
We have an issue with the controller settings of a Easy Touch Pentair control system that has been configured and operational for a year.
A guest messed with the settings such that a setting for "SPA" was replaced by "MALIBU LTS"
As an engineer myself I went on line to the manual, a huge manual of very limited value.
The controller is set up like a tree as you know, but the manual is not. The only reference in that Manual to MALIBU LTS is a single entry in a long list.
I am and Engineer too but simply could not find a reference.
Meanwhile other have been pushing buttons and now the air blower starts up at 8.00 am. We are leaving around 3.00 pm Eastern today and will be away for 4 or 5 days so cannot leave the bubbler running!
If you are able to sent me a link to an understandable tree like manual, explain MALIBU LTS occupying the spot of "SPA" and a link to the bubbler settings that would be great.
Thanks.
Trevor(###) ###-####
Pool and Spa Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago

Hello again, so far it looks like that system is made in Guang Zhau click here please

An imported line of thermostats for air conditioners was made there, their first iteration had a 168 page poorly translated programming manual in closely spaced fine print on thin paper, the 'easy programming manual' was 9 times the size and weight of the thermostat.. it had translation errors..... as did the thermostats error codes...

translating a line of chinese characters to an english abbreviation is almost impossible... especially if the person writing the code or doing the translation is not a technician her self, but just a translator not trained in any specialty.

If these systems develop a defect and if I can get the wiring diagram I can very often devise tests in order to determine what is wrong, but in this case, its not a defect but a programming and translations issue.

Now 3 years later the same brand has a 3 page programming manual. with clear illustrations, in bold print. Meantime in your case you are stuck with the unfathomable manual and it is doubtful as you already know that anyone in the business in your area has learned it, or even tried, they have headed off in the opposite direction.... including me and very likely everyone else in this pool service forum.

None the less, I will opt out on the slim chance someone else here decided to get good at programming that thing.

A last word of advice, as you probably also abide by yourself...these days the words 'keep it simple' keep taking on new meaning.

What I buy these days is the cheapest, simplest, least efficient appliances I can find... I recommend window AC units, and refrigerators be placed on side windows next to a drive way so when it fails you can just park a pick up truck under it and shove it out the window... thats easier than any repair attempt. You may be in a similar situation with this pool system controller.

I found the "EasyTouch Quick Reference Guide" and was able to address the issue.
It is impossible to do anything without that.Thank you
Trevor Doust