Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Went to my spa the other day and the fuse was tripped and…

Customer Question
Hello went to my...

Hello went to my spa the other day and the fuse was tripped and when i reset fuse pump came back on and i went and checked next day fuse tripped and now i have after resetting fuse several times the unit is on but i have 2 set of 4 dashes

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Caldera

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can work out the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/15/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 5 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

Can you explain what you mean by fuse tripped? Are you referring to the gfci circuit breaker or actually replacing fuses? What yr/model is your Caldera?

The dashes are a flow issue and you may have a bad circ pump or other device tripping the breaker. Are you having heating issues, also?

Thank you.

Standing by.

2008 It tripped breaker when I found it was cold water about 50 it started it but had two rows of 4 dashes and circulation pump was moving water put a heated on computer panel and took overheat sencor off heater. Now just have ---- and nothing comes on

Okay.

You will need to place the sensor back on the heater where it goes. I suspect you have a flow issue with the circ. pump. This may also be the cause of the breaker trip...maybe not.

Please replace the sensor back into the heater, reset the power off/on and make sure the filters are out and the water level is good. Set the temp to 100.

Update me on what happens. Thank you

Standing by.

It goes to ----- after about 5 seconds no pump sound. Filter out loosed fitting on heater there is water and tub is full

Okay thank you for the update.

If you have a meter to check voltage, please check the output voltage to the circ. pump to confirm it is getting 120v. It should always be running when the system is powered.

If the pump has voltage and is not working, replace it.

If the dashes continue and you suspect the pump is not pumping nearly like it used to, replace it.

The circ. pump must work and must pump a proper flow rate for the tub to operate. If you have an ozone system, you should be getting a steady stream of bubbles rising from the floor drain. If not, the water surface should have a slight ripple if you look closely...both signs of a proper flowing circ pump.

It's probably time to replace it after 8 yrs of 24/7/365 operation, you are getting OH and flo errors...both circ pump issues. You had a system breaker trip (not the heater's breaker) and a bad circ. pump often is the cause. I am unclear if the breaker has continued to trip or if that was a one time problem.

I can provide you a source for the circ. pump if you would like, or your local Caldera/Hot Springs dealer will have them. They are a little pricey, but easy to replace now they finally come with the cord pre-installed.

If you are in freezing conditions, please let me know.

Standing by.

Thanks, it's freezing, wont warm up for 3-4 days guess I drain tub? It's about ,50 degrees

Please be advised that just draining the tub will NOT make it safe from freeze damage. You will need to vacuum and blow out all the plumbing to be safe.

I recommend ordering a pump right away or calling a dealer for emergency service...either to replace the pump or to professionally winter drain your tub.

Here is a great online source for the pump:

http://www.backyardplus.com/proddetail.php?prod=74427

Leaving it filled (disconnecting the heater and bypassing the flow switch) and running the pumps frequently with the lid closed, and adding a small electric heater to the equipment area should prevent freezing in the short term. I can go into more detail if you wish. I just want to be clear that simply draining the tub and not clearing ALL the plumbing of water completely will NOT leave the tub protected from freezing.

Standing by.

I understand

Good morning.

Okay, I just don't want you risk freeze damage. This is a difficult time to deal with this.

Have I answered your question thoroughly?

Standing by.

ok went away this weekend put heater on controls but with the dashes i couldnt work any of the controles. i turned power back on and was able to turn on pump and it ran, its 60 today after about 5 minutes the breaker popped i reset and it popped again disconnected heater and it runs fine. since i dont have a circ pump just two jet pumps with high and low speed. going to order new heater.

Hello. Thanks for the update. Very glad it warmed up.

The heater tripping the breaker is a different issue than the dashes. If disconnecting the heater stops the breaker from tripping, it is likely bad.

In '08 models Caldera used a dedicated circulation pump...at least on most models. I believe they switched to the more traditional 2 speed pump and tube manifold heaters for heating after that.

Do you know the model number of your tub? It's on a sticker inside the equipment area, usually on the walls.

Standing by.

Production date 11-5-08
C451l3006
It has two - two spa pumps and tube heater.

Thank you.

Very late '08 production date. Obviously same as the '09 changes. Sorry for the misunderstanding, yours operates differently from what I was describing. It is more traditional without the dedicated circ pump.

Was there ever an issue with pump 1? Low or hi speed operation during or preceding the dashes?

I suspect there was some issue with low speed or the pressure switch at the time of the dashes. The heater tripping the breaker and failing may be a coincidence or a dry fire while troubleshooting the dashes. The heater failing and dashes are likely unrelated. If the dashes are gone and the tub seems to be working sans heater, replace the element and try it again. I would recommend replacing the pressure switch at the same time for insurance. Too cold to risk another issue.

Pressures switches come preset for most applications please do not adjust it unless absolutely necessary.

You may want to consider an entire heater assembly for ease of repair. The element and pressure switch are preinstalled and they come with new gaskets, also.

Good luck and if you still have issues, please come back to this thread.

Standing by.

TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy