Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I took my filter out to clean it and now I can't get it back…

Customer Question
I took my filter...

I took my filter out to clean it and now I can't get it back in, it's the one where the cartridge needs to go into the opening and it's hard to get it in and then get the filter on. I thought it was in but it just kept turning and when I went to put the filter cover on it wouldn't go on since the filter wasn't all the way in. I am away for 6 days now and am worried something will get damaged until I return home and can fix properly

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just bought a house and it came with a hot tub, so I am not used to maintaining one. I went to my local pool and spa place and they showed me what to do. they said it would be tricky to get the filter back in and it was. This was just yesterday

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Dynasty

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What? the weekly maintenance? yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/14/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Cole, Salesman replied 8 months ago
Cole
Cole, Salesman

Hi there, I'm Cole. I see your asking about spas and I think I can help... I think I can help you walk through this but i would need a photo or a model of the filter housing. so a picture of your filter assembly would be great... let me know .... hope to help..

I won't be home for 5 days. I am not asking for help reinstalling it as I will have my local pool and spa dealer come out and help me, I am wondering if anything will get damaged by it running with the filter not properly installed

not usually a problem.. most tubs have quite a few safety features to protect from damage. it will usually just stop heating while displaying an error code. you are not below freezing temperatures where the tub is located are you? if you were i would be a little more worried. you should be fine not 100% that no damage can happen but you should be fine. i hope i gave you a little reassurance and wish you luck.

Ugh, I am in Buffalo NY. Why would it stop heating just because of the filter?

well i cant say for sure it will stop heating but if the filter is put in there so that it is obstructing the water flow through the tub than it will usually shut heater off. how cold is it getting in buffalo over night? next few days?

Low of 22℉

that's not absolutely cold but could freeze if you had no heat in the tub.....if you have anyone who could stop bye and see if its still warm/running that may be good...if it was not running for some reason what we normally do if we cant fix it at the time we put a cattle trough heater in the tub to keep it warm... i do not want to worry you but i do want you to know of the possibilities. i hope it does OK for you...

2 flights and a rental car and I was able to go home and check it. It was fine. Was even able to get the filter in correctly, just couldn't get the black filter cover to lock in