Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

La kona spa error code flo come on i checked filter i can…

Customer Question
La kona spa error...

La kona spa error code flo come on i checked filter i can manually set temp one motor but low speed wont come on only clicks high speed heats up ok

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

La spas

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I think

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have to go to turn power off then on after over night

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/11/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 7 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

Does the pump ever run on low speed...either automatically or if you manually press the jet button? Even after resetting the power? If only hi speed is working, does it come on without pressing the jets button like low speed would normally to heat? If you press the jet button does hi speed come on with 1 or 2 pushes? Any detail may be helpful.

Why do you say flo error? Does it say "flo" or are you seeing 3 flashing dots on the screen?

Does the low speed pump icon appear in the screen or on a flashing led on the topside indicating the pump should be on but isn't.

If you were to reset the power, please describe exactly what happens and any other details you think may help. Please be as detailed as possible, any detail may be very helpful.

Do you know the year of your tub? If you would like to include any pictures of the topside and control box, that may be very helpful, also.

Thank you.

Standing by.

low speed never comes on after resetting power #2 afer 24 hrs hi speed wont come on only with turning offand on #3press 1 time just clicks press 2times high speed on #42013 la spa kona model #5 flo errow also reads- - - there is not a icon for low speed it maintains atemp of 96whitch I keep on over night,then I raise the temp to 103 it takes 4 times to turn high speed on to heat to 103
what happened to my reply to day at 1;37,i don't feel u people are concerned its seems its all about more money really does it take this long to reply

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for the info.

It appears you have lost low speed in pump 1. This explains the flo and the hi-limit errors are very possibly from running the pump hi speed long periods of time. Long periods of hi speed will heat the water regardless if the heater has shut off just from friction.

So, I suspect low speed does not come on, you get the flo error until you activate hi speed...correcting the flow problem. The pump is now hi speed, the heater has shut off when set temp is reached and the pump still running increases the water temp until a hi limit error occurs. When you find the tub in hi limit error, it has probably cooled down.

Does that sound likely?

Now...

A loss of low speed can be a control issue not sending power to the pump in low speed.

Or a bad connection where the pump plugs in...not uncommon to find a burnt amp plug or melted connector. Please check that connection for damage.

Or a bad motor. The start switch may be bad, only allowing the motor to start in hi speed. Maybe a bad start capacitor or some other internal motor issue.

Check the connection where the pump connects to the control box or circuit board. There may be a burnt plug or bad wire. If the connection is good, try this test"

Check for output voltage across the black and white pump wires on low speed. Check the output voltage across the red and white pump wires with the pump on high speed. They should be the same on their respective speeds. I'm not sure if your model is convertible from 120 to 240v. I believe it is, in which case you should have 120v across each test. If the tub is 240 only you may have either voltage motor, but the voltage test in each speed will be either 120v or 240v. If the low speed is not getting power, you have a bad circuit board.

If the pump is getting power in low speed, you have a bad motor.

Standing by.