Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

My hot tub pumps are acting up they start and stop and start…

Customer Question
My hot tub pumps...

My hot tub pumps are acting up they start and stop and start again and the water is over heating

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Sundance cameo 2002

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes im a electrical contractor

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I need to know how to trouble shoot

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/11/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 2 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

Are your pumps cycling on/off/on ect all by themselves...like a ghost is doing it? Does this happen continuously or intermittently? Is this happening on 1 or 2 pumps? Do you have an auxiliary control panel to operate your pump/pumps separate from the main control panel?

Are you getting any error messages? When the tub overheats, must you reset the power?

Can you provide more detail, the more the better. Thank you.

Standing by.

the motors act the way you suscribe them, it is mostly one motor, i do have an additional control in the other side of the tub, it happens intermittently, The only error I get is OH and flo I tried the power already it goes right back to the same. I notice loading dlme water level I might have a small leak, will that couse the flow and the overheating?

Hello. A low water level can cause FLO and OH errors. If the water level gets too low the filter will suck air and the small circulation pump may lose prime or cavitate. This will slow or stop the water flow through the heater and past the flow switch. So make sure the water level is good. If you have a cover that's in poor shape or very heavy, you may be losing water through the cover.

Pumps will come on automatically if the water temp drops too low. They will come to protect from freezing. They will come if the filter cycles are set frequently. Neither of these will be a repetitive on/off/on/off cycling, however.

Try unplugging the auxiliary control panel from the board and see if the pumps act normal. Leave the main control pad plugged in. If the main control pad is in bad shape, that may be the cause, also.

Standing by.

poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company