Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

We have a 2008 hot springs van guard with a flashing red…

Customer Question
Hello, We have a 2008...
Hello, We have a 2008 hot springs van guard with a flashing red light. I’ve cleaned the filters, changed both limit switches, put on a new circ pump. I put the new pump on today and it ran and heated for about 2 hours then it did it again.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Any
Anyone available
12/6/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 6 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

I will try to help you troubleshoot and solve why your tub is getting the flashing power light.

I just want to confirm a few things you mentioned.

Did you replace BOTH old thermistors (sensors) or just the hi-limit thermistor?

Is the green ready light off/on/flashing? Is just the power light flashing or are both the red and green lights flashing?

Does your heater have a pressure switch or is there a jumper on the pressures switch pin on the board? Heaters come in both versions, however, your yr model will have to have either a pressure switch equipped heater or jumper.

Did you find lots of scale in the old circ pump?

If you remove the filter from the gray standpipe and restart the tub, will it heat now?

Thank you,

Standing by.

Thanks for getting back with me,
I did replace both thermistors.
the green light has never flashed, just the power light.
Unfortunately I can't answer your question on the pressure switch, i will have to look when i get off work.
i didn't find much if any scale build up on the old circ pump.
after replacing the pump lastnight, the spa ran and heated for app. 2 hours, then the light began flashing again. the temp was up to 89 degrees, i then removed the filter on the grey pipe, opened the waterfall, and restarted the tub. it ran for I'm guessing an hour or so, same result. i restarted the spa and turned one of the jet buttons and let it run for another hour, and it ran fine, still with the filter removed. that was later lastnight. i left the filter out over night, and it was flashing red this am, but the temp was at 100, so I'm assuming it heated for quite sometime. i reset everything again this morning, and it came to my desired temp,(102), the green and red light were both on and solid.
that is the last i looked at it today.

Okay thank you for the details.

So right at the moment it seems to be working, but of course there is some issue making it difficult. Disregard checking for the pressure switch or jumpers...not an issue if the green light is NOT flashing.

With the filter temporarily removed we can eliminate it as the problem...very common. Make sure leaves or debris or not stuck to the bare standpipe, the cap is on, and that the water level is higher than the filter.

We know the circ. pump is probably running fine, so let's move past that.

That leaves a couple potential issues: A scaled up heater(inside) causing the heater to get too hot or possibly a clogged heater return.

Try unscrewing and removing the floor drain. It will unscrew and pop out. Check for scale or debris obstructing the heated water from entering the tub. This may be an easy fix to your issue. Clean if necessary and replace.

If working replace with clean or new filters. If replacing clean filters results in the light flashing again, replace with a new filter on the gray pipe.

Update on what you find. Thank you.

Standing by.

Hello again, I took the floor drain screen off and found nothing. We tore the old circ pump apart and found no scale inside the impeller either.
It just appears as long as I leave a jet pump on, the tub continues to work.
Never mind, had the pumps running and it lasted about 15 minutes and red light is back to flashing again

It sounds like you have some flow problem with the circ. pump/heater or a bad thermistor. The pumps and heat are on completely separate plumbing.

Maybe it is flowing okay and you are getting an airlock during the heat cycle. This could be caused by a small amount of air being sucked into the filter tube (low water, cap off, no filter, weir sticking up when jets are on) or into the suction of the circ pump through a small crack in the suction plumbing. Something is causing the heater to over-heat during the heat cycle and this is almost always low flow...if BOTH sensors are good.

I would make sure the weir door (door blocking filters) is not sticking up when the jets are running, the filter cap and filter is clean and installed. For testing purposes maybe try the old hi limit sensor again. It is the smaller threads of the 2 sensors.

If none of this corrects the problem, you have a very odd situation that may require a hands on service from your dealer.

If there is any chance the tub may have frozen prior to all the part swapping, it is possible to have a small crack allowing air to suck into the circ pump and cause this condition. Rare, but I have seen it.

I have suggested and covered everything possible here and previously, I cannot think of any other explanations. I doubt you have a bad system, I think your issue is a flow problem somewhere between the filter and heater return (floor drain) or a bad sensor.

Please update me if you discover anything new or if any of my suggestions helped.

Standing by.

Any update?

Standing by.