Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I am getting a flo error on my vita spa with a filter image,

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a flo error on my vita spa with a filter image

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Vita spa

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
it is about 15 or so years old. There is flow coming into the hot tub but it may seem a little bit reduced. Not sure. If the filter became dislodged is it possible that there could be some kind of block in the line? Could the problem resolve with simply cleaning the filter? If not -- then what?
12/5/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 7 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

First make sure the water level is high enough. Add some water if needed, the pump may be sucking air if you have a low water level.

A clogged filter may be your issue. Try removing the filter and make sure nothing in the tub can get sucked past the filter intake.

After removing the filter and checking the water level, does the flo error go away?

Does the flo error go away with the jets on high speed?

Standing by.

water level is fine. I removed the filter and the flo message did not go away. I also reset electrical. Now the jets dont seem to be working and the temp is dropping but there is still some flow in the tub
now the jets are working but I am not getting a temp read out. only flo

Do you suspect anything was sucked into the pump? If so, why?

Do the jets work in low and high speed? Do they seem normal now or weak?

Is it possible you are not getting any flow from pump 1 to heat but only from pump 2 (if equipped)?

If on high speed, does the flo error go away?

Please include any details or background that may be helpful. Was the tub working fine and now not? Or, did you just refill the tub and now have this issue? Any more detail may be helpful.

Thank you.

Standing by

I noticed that the fliter had become dislodged a few days ago - would that allow for something to be sucked into the pump?Jets work in low and high and appear to be normal.The error does not go away on high speed.Not sure about pump 1 and 2.Tub has been working fine. The filter was pretty clogged.I am in a sub freezing situation.

If you use scumballs and are missing any, maybe 1 got sucked into the pump. Perhaps small toys or clothing, but if the jets are flowing normal you most likely have another issue.

I would start suspecting the pressure switch. It is screwed into the heater and detects if there is proper flow through the heater to enable or disable it. Some Vitas have a stainless steel tube below or above the control box and some older models have a usually black plastic heater housing. Both will connected to pump one and be on or next to the control box in the equipment area.

Let me know if you would like to troubleshoot further, you may need to replace this switch.

It will look like the attachment below.

i didnt see an attachment

I know....uploaded it 3X

Long delay.

In the meantime to add some heat run the jets high speed with the cover closed. This will raise the temp slowly in the short term. I would also put a small electric heater under in the cabinet set to medium or low to keep it warm below.

If you wish to troubleshoot the pressure switch, you will have to find it and we can go from there. It will be inside the control box screwed into the metal heater tube or inside the plastic heater housing if you have that.

Standing by.