Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a heater problem... It;s been intermittent for a few…

Customer Question
I have a heater...

I have a heater problem...

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It;s been intermittent for a few months

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm fairly proficient in my setup... been here for 10 years... I've done pump replacements, etc.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a pool and spa, and a Jandy controller

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Pool and spa are in ground, built in

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/4/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, intermittent problems can be nearly impossible to diagnose.

.

This is not an answer, just a note. You will be best off waiting until it fails.

OR you can try replugging all of the wire connections in the unit, two or three times to burnish off any oxide that may be causing the problem.

And you can try warming the printed circuit board to 130F with a hair drier, gently, and if anything at all changes, you have proven a bad printed circuit board with a micro crack in it.

Let me know how that goes and if you want to continue or not.

The problem was intermittent at first, now steady state. My suspicion is a bad pressure sensor, since the burner always lights, the exhaust is hot, fan is running, but no hot water returning to spa/pool. Also the Jandy remote is saying "Heater off-line" which would leave me to believe there should be an error code somewhere on the heater, but not seeing one or seeing any way to trigger a diag screen on the heater. Will look at IC board this week, try your hair dryer suggestion to see if anything changes. What do you think of my pressure sensor suspicion?

If no warm or hot water exits the water heater, when the burners are on,...but the same temperature exits, then the heat exchanger inside the boiler is most likely coated in a thick layer or hard water scale, that will lead to the boiler itself over heating and then its high temperature cut out switch will trip.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the boilers electrical service cover, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.