Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a Master Spa Twilight Spa TS 6.1 corrner 3 person…

Customer Question
I have a Master...

I have a Master Spa Twilight Spa TS 6.1 corrner 3 person unit. Bought it from my older neighbors that just never used it. But the pump/motor just doesn't kick out much pressure for the jets. it's only has a 2hp it is now and it plugs into the wall. looks like I can purchase a new pump with greater HP to solve this issue. any recommendations?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Master Spas

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I wouldn't mind if it's nothing to tricky

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/3/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 7 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

You mention your hot tub plugs into the wall so I assume it is running on 120v. That means it is a 120v or 120v/240 volt convertible hot tub. You can only have a single speed 2hp or 1.5hp 2speed pump/motor in these units. Often they are uprated and have a sticker or uprating to reflect the 2hp rating. Your tub likely uses a 2 speed pump and is likely have a 1 or 1.5 hp depending on the amp draw of the motor. So to answer your question, no you cannot install a larger pump.

Now...

The jet pressure should be okay since the jets are matched to the factory pump. They depend on a clean filter, that they are rotated into the fully on position (if yours has adjustable jets), and that the pump is not restricted by an obstruction or closed/partially closed shut off valve (if equipped).

The other possibility is the jets are old and no longer draw and mix air into the water stream, creating more massage. This is common in many jets once they get around 5-10yrs old.

Less common may be an issue in a stuck or closed air control/controls that supply air to the jets.

So...

Check for jets rotated fully on, clean filters and proper water level, and closed/partially closed shut off valves before/after the pump. Possibly the pump has an obstruction inside it causing the issue.

Please let me know if you need to troubleshoot further or have any questions or concerns related to pump sizes.

Thank you. Standing by.

the shut off valves are before or and after the pump. How do you check for obstruction's . Also my wife said something about possible air in the lines?

Your tub may or may not use shut of valves. They will be before the pump and after the heater in the main plumbing.

If you have an airlock, the pump usually doesn't flow at all. If this is the case, let me know.

An obstruction will have to be determined by pulling the pump and checking inside it.