Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a 2004 Caldera Utopia Niagara. No heat. Flasing temp…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Caldera Utopia Niagara. No heat. Flasing temp light and reads 115 degrees. I've replaced the thermistor, temp sensor, pressure switch. No change. The red heater light is not on.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Off and on for 8 weeks.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If there is no red light on the board, is it calling for heat?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
12/3/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 8 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

I have read your question and will try to help figure this out.

Is your topside control pad shaped like a rectangle or like 3 circle side by side overlapping? Both are different and both were used in '04 Caldera models...it was a transition yr for control systems.

Were you or are you getting any error messages: FL FLO DR OH ect....or just the 115 flashing?

If you power off the tub and power it back on what happens and when? Does it run for a while then say 115 or does it happen soon after repowering the tub?

Does the tub heat up, then cool down OR just never seem to heat at all?

Did you replace BOTH temp sensors? Where is the temp (control) sensor installed? Where is the hi-limit sensor installed. The temp sensor is larger.

To answer your red light question, I will need to know which system your hot tub has. One system has a red light on the control panel between the temp up/down buttons, the other has a "heater on" led on the board.

Please add any other information that may be helpful.

Thank you.

Standing by.

The topside control pad is 3 circles.No error message. The display reads a steady 115 degrees constant while the "temp" light flashes off and on. the temperature level controls will change to set a desired temp but then back to steady 115 on the display.No difference on power off then on at the breaker box.Circulation pump moves water, activates pressure switch (visual check) and runs 24/7Removing the filter made no difference.No heat ever.The green lim light is on, a red light comes on when pumps are activated, but the light marked as "heater on" led does not come on.The temp control sensor is mounted in the side of the tub near the step handle. the hi-limit is strapped to the heater tube above the circulation pump. (I did not mount either when I replaced them. I laid the hi-limit beside the original one and placed the temp sensor over the side an in the water after connecting the the circuit board.)The yellow wire coming into the heater control panel looks like it has over heated at some time. (a little brittle rubber)I have yet to see a heater on led light on the circuit boardMain control circuit panel was replaced ~ 8 years ago.Air blower does not work and is disconnected at the circuit board.Caldera Niagara: Serial number: C-NIB4E1058

Hello. Sorry for the delay.

Since both new sensors are not permanently installed yet, try placing your temp and hi-limit sensors into a room temp glass of water and repowering the tub. Does the 115 go away? Please update me on what...if anything...changes.

Standing by.

I put the temp sensor in the tub water (over the side). The hi-limit is not in the water but on the silver heater conduit, right beside the old one.No difference in the 115 display.

How cold is it where you are and what temp is the water in the tub? Does it read 115 with the old sensors, also? Was there any change between the old and new sensors?

The water will not heat if the "heater on" LED is off on the circuit board.

If the water or especially the heater tube is very cold it may be throwing the high limit sensor out of range. That was the reason for placing both in a room temp glass of water. I am trying to eliminate or pinpoint the sensors as the issue.

If the old and new sensors made no change at all OR placing both new sensors in the room temp glass of water together makes no change at all, I would suspect the topside control or main board. More likely the topside in this situation.

Standing by.

I tried the sensors in 72 degree water. No change. blinking temp light and 115 reading. What's the next step?

Just need to confirm that the power was turned off/during your test with the glass of water. The hi limit will not reset without powering off/on.

If you did and there is no difference, I would say you one of your old and new sensors are bad OR you have a bad control pad or main circuit board.

I would try the same test (powering off/on) with both the old and new sensors, but this time unplug the control panel from the board while still powered on, then plug it back in while off. Remove BOTH heater wires from the small heater board, this will eliminate an actual hi limit possibility. Once off, let the sensors sit in the 72 water for a minute (control panel plugged back in) and then power it up. If there is no change and you continue to get the same blinking 115 with all of your sensors, you have a bad control panel or board. I would guess the control panel but it could be either.

So if you do not get any new results with the heater disconnected, control panel unplugged/plugged back in, and with a combination of all 4 sensors (old and new) then I suspect the control system. It would be best to call a Caldera dealer for service at this point. They should have a control panel to plug in to determine if it's that or the board so you may not have to buy both. Some yr models you must buy both a panel and board together due to a change in manufacturers, but I think that was up until '02...not a 100% sure.

There is really nothing else to try or for me to suggest. Please update me on any changes.

Thank you

Standing by.