Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I recently got a big swim spa. It's 14' X 7.5' and hold 1400…

Customer Question
I recently got a big...
I recently got a big swim spa. It's 14' X 7.5' and hold 1400 gallons of water. I have 3" trichlor tabs for chlorinating the pool. Can I use those in the spa as well. I have a floating dispenser. Also, in the big pool, I use liquid chlorine for shock and it's always worked well. Can I do the same for the swim spa?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/27/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 7 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Swim Spa recommends the following, however it is always best to reference the owners manual for chemical care.

What we reccomend is that because you have a 200sqft filtering system, ozone system which kills 90% of the bacteria and a circulating pump that runs 24/7.
1 – Use Chlorine or Bromine Granules, 1 Tablespoon Per Person after use.
2 – Tablespoon is placed insidwe the Skimmer, Filters.
3 – When not in use put cover on, ready for the next day!
The Clarity of your water without adding tons of chemicals will justify your needs.
Always check your PH balance once a week.

The water is cloudy right now and test shows low available chlorine. I understand your recommendation, but what I wanted to know is, will it hurt anything to shock with liquid chlorine? Also, will it hurt anything to use the trichlor tabs that I already have? I don't know if a spa has parts that a pool doesn't have that are sensitive to certain forms of chlorine. That's my question. Thanks.
Never mind. I found a website that answered all my questions.

T​he spa care is usually different from pool care not because of it's equipment so much as it is because of its shell (plaster pool vs acrylic spa) and therefore the care/chemicals used are different. Spa makers have spent a lot of time and research on what hurts or helps their product, that is why it is always best to follow their recommendations in regards ***** ***** chemistry.

You're question asked about using 3" chlorine tablets in a floating dispenser, this method of chlorinating is not considered shock treatment. I am sorry if you feel I did not answer your question, I only responded to the question that was asked and provided both an insightful and truthful answer based on that question.

If you have any additional questions, or if you would prefer a refund or credit, just let me know and I am happy to assist.

I don't know where you got the idea that I thought the tablets were shock. I think we're done. I've found the information I need.