Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

What would cause the jets to not come on, the spa has been…

Customer Question
What would cause the...

What would cause the jets to not come on

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The spa has been closed since summer. went out today to clean drain and refill. when turned on the PR

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Indicator was on so i let it be. then after the PR went away i pushed the jets button lights up but does not come on

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/25/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair. replied 7 months ago
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello. After or during the Pr mode, the jets should turn on if you press the jet button. Obviously they are not, so let's go over a couple common causes:

The pump is coming on, but is not pumping. Sometimes it's hard to hear and may just be an air lock situation. Other times the the pump is on, can't turn, and is humming because of a seized bearing. The humming will start/stop/start as the pump motor heats up and cools down if that is the case.

or

The pump is not getting power. This is usually a bad fuse on the circuit board.

Each pump will have a 25 or 30 amp fuse on the circuit board. If your system is capable of running 2 pumps, there will be 2 identical fuses usually adjacent to each other. Just swap them and see if your pump works. Or, replace the fuse and try that.

Determine which is your situation and we can troubleshoot if necessary.

Standing by.

Ok, I will try the fuses but I had another thought, the spa has been shut off since June. It has gone below freezing the last few nites. Could the water have frozen

Certainly. That is potentially a much bigger problem!

If frozen you will have to thaw it out and cross your fingers. Place a small electric space heater in the equipment area. Close it back up and let it warm up in there. If you have a fully foamed tub, you may have limited success, but most of the time if nothing is broken it will thaw it out to try again. Leave the power to the tub off until you have warmed it up for a few hours.

A frozen pump will act like one with a seized bearing and hum the first 30 seconds or so after turning on.

IDK what issue you have exactly yet, but if frozen you must start there.

Standing by.