Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a hot tub with Balboa Instruments controller PN:

I have a hot...

I have a hot tub with Balboa Instruments controller PN: 54301-04 and evidently the controller has a problem. If I plug in Pump 1 the breaker trips. I have removed and tested Pump 1 and both high and low speeds work fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Vita Maxx

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The controller is Model CHTOM SN: CHT101000003

11/20/2017
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello, my name is*****'ll do my best to resolve your issue.
Couple questions:

When you say breaker...do you mean the main GFCI circuit breaker powering the hot tub?

Do you have a pump 2 on this model? If so, is it 1 or 2 speeds?

Is this a Coleman/Maxx brand?

How old is this unit? Sorry I have no way to go by their serial number.

Please describe how you tested the pump.

Waiting your reply.

TheHotTubGuy
Hello Todd, Yes, the main GFCI circuit breaker that feeds power to the hot tub.
Yes, this model has 2 pumps and both are 2 speed models. The pump 2 circuit seems to be fine but when I plug pump 1 into the circuit board then reset the breaker, the breaker immediately trips again.
Not sure about the Coleman/Maxx question but probably. Both motors and control unit are labeled with Balboa Instruments and Balboa motor name plates. The Balboa Instruments model is 460 Mach 3, PN: 54301-04.
The unit was installed about 10 years ago. Maybe 2007 or 2008.
To test the pump I removed it from the hot tub and took it to my shop (my business sells solar powered water pumps). I applied 240 VAC to the high speed then the low speed terminals on the pump.
I hope this information is helpful.
Phone call session started

Sorry...trying to reach you by phone using the JA system and I get disconnected. Tried you direct and got voicemail. If you wish me to call you again, please let me know.

Thank you.

Yes, that info is helpful.

Please let me know how you wish to continue. I apologize for any inconvenience.

I tried to answer you call five times but all I got was a beep beep and a disconnect. We are going to have to continue by text or email. I have already talked with a customer service representative at Just Answer about this issue. Let's just continue by email and text messages.
Are you still there?

Still here.

Would you like me to call you direct again?

Okay...

Pump can work but still trip a GFCI. That is what it sounds like here. I would make sure that the cord and plug/pins are in good order and the all 4 connections to the motor are snug.

Now..I do not know if you have the pump installed and tub filled. So, I don't know exactly how to advise you to proceed.

Okay, I have reinstalled the pump but have not plugged it into the controller circuit board just yet. The tub is full of water and all other functions seem to be working properly but there must be a problem on the controller circuit board because every time I plug pump 1 into the control board and turn on the GFCI breaker it trips as soon as it is turned on.

Thank you.

Please try this...

Unplug pump 2 and plug it into pump 1 socket. Power up tub. Does it trip? If not shut of power and proceed as follows.

Okay, I am at the office now but I will try that when I get back to the house.

Now plug pump 1 into pump 2 socket and do the same. I'm pretty sure both are 2 speeds on that control system.

If it only trips with pump 1 plugged into pump 1 or pump socket...you have a bad pump 1 motor. I know it works, but that's the case.

I would also recommend trying this:

Plug everything in like it should be. Unplug the ozone from the board and disconnect the heater power wires/tabs from the board as well. Now power it back up again. Now if still working (turn jet 1 to LOW speed), plug the ozone back in. Does it trip? If so..Remove the ozone and reconnect your heater and power on again. Does it work?

Heaters usually trip the breaker regardless if on or off if bad. The ozone is only going to come on when pump 1 runs low speed and could be your culprit. You may have a bad breaker. Putting load on the breaker using pump 2 plugged into pump 1 socket should cause a bad breaker to trip...just like pump 1 plugged in.

You have a bad pump 1 motor

of bad ozonator

or a bad breaker that trips only under load.

Update me on what you find and we can troubleshoot more if necessary or if you have questions at that time. I'll stick with you until solved.

Thanks ttys

Just respond when/if you wish to continue. A reply will make it necessary for me to answer even if not needed at the moment. Thanks

I will not be able to do the testing you mentioned above until I get home from the office. I will let you know what I found when I have an update. Thanks

Okay. Let me know when you're troubleshooting. I'll try to be available

I plugged P2 into the P1 output and the breaker didn't trip. I then plugged P2 back into it respective receptacle and plugged P1 into the P1 receptacle, turned on the power and the breaker didn't trip. The hot tub appears to be working properly now. I don't know why but it is working so I guess I'll call it fixed and carry on. Maybe a low water sensor tripped the breaker to shut down the system and when the tub was refilled it may take some time to reset, I just don't know. Anyway, thanks for your help.

I am unaware of any low water sensor. The system will detect poor flow do to a low water level or unprimed pump, however, that would never cause the breaker to trip. I would take a moment to tighten up the power wires at just in case it was a loose connection there...gfci breakers are a picky device. Just make sure the breaker is off and use a screwdriver to snug up the red/black/white/green power wires on the breaker and inside the tub control box. Normal policy on my service calls...loose connections burn up boards. I would also trip the gfci breaker off with the test button and reset it a couple times to be sure it going to be reliable. If you live somewhere cold in winter, that's when it will glitch again.

Well anyway great news and I am happy the issue is resolved. Thank you for the update and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Hello. I just received a new request to call you. Not sure why, but I am sorry for any inconvenience or misunderstanding on my end.

Good night

Thanks for the notification. I should probably check my credit card billing just to be sure I didn’t receive another charge. Happy Thanksgiving!

I have to respond to clear your reply...please disregard. TY

TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy