Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a Pdc spa had to replace #1 pump (heat) two speed…

I have a Pdc...

I have a Pdc spa had to replace #1 pump (heat) two speed pump but will only run in one speed ?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Pdc

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Two speed pump only running one speed spa reading pump 1 error

11/20/2017
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello. I'll do my best to help with you with this, first a couple questions to help me help you:

I understand you replaced pump 1 with another 2 speed pump...is that correct?

Is the new pump also 2 speed and the same voltage/hp? You should have 4 wires: Red, Black, White, Green.

Red=High

Black=Low

White=common

Green=ground

Is the plug on the board and cord in in good shape...no bad or burnt pins?

Is there a pump 2 on your unit? If so, is it also 2 speed or single speed?

Awaiting your reply.

replaced #1 with a compatible pump same voltage rpm
Yes wired correctly when wired for high only low speed works when wired for low only high speed works
Plug is good to the board
Yes #2 and #3 single speed pump motors on unit as well
To add to my problem I was trying to get the xm1 pack into LL4 mode and it went into LL2 mode and is stuck there

Okay.

Maybe you have a programming issue rather than a pump/wiring issue. We may still need to switch the black/red wires on the motor given what you are telling me. Give me a moment to do some checking...I assumed you had an older model with Balboa controls. I believe that is capable of running a 2sp pump 2 whether you have one or not (if programmed to do so).

Be back soon.

Can you send me a pick of the control box showing everything plugged in where it goes and showing the error on the display? Also, a pic of the topside would be helpful. I think I know what you have but there are many Gecko systems. How certain are you it is supposed to set on LL2? I'm seeing LL2 as no 2nd or 3rd pump programming. This may take a little time and you working with me to get right, I hope that is okay...it's not the simplest system by a long shot. I will try my best if you have patience and can be my eyes and hands.

For the moment try plugging pump 1 into pump 2 and see if you have 1 or 2 speeds and if 1 speed is it low or high.

Awaiting your reply.

Thank you. Please shoot a good pic/pics of the control box showing the screen and all the equipment plugged in. Also a full pic of the entire control pad. I will then know what you have and what equipment your spa has. This will help me know what programming you need for your configuration. I will do my best but please know this is more hands on service than chat. I feel hopeful we can resolve it. Thank you very much.

To be clear...some control packs have their own screen separate from the topside's. I do not know if that is your case yet.

TY

Thank you!

Be back as soon as I can.

Sorry nighttime and freezing here
Ok I got pump one to respond I’m back to my initial problem sorry for confusion. It is wired for high currently so low speed works which is fine for circulation of hot water when I put the pump into high speed it clicks and makes a loud hum sound but does not turn over

Just to be clear:

You have pump 1 plugged into pump 1 and it is running low speed? Is it set to low speed on the control pad?

When you press pump 1 button for high speed, the pump hums and does not work?

Is that correct?

Are pump 2 and 3 working as they should?

If so, stop and double check your pump wiring. I am uncertain if red is high or low on your particular setup (usually high), but you should not get the hum noise.

If you send me a pic of your wiring as is and of the wiring diagram on the side of the motor I will look to see if there is an issue there. Switching black/red wires is minor...humming is usually incorrect wiring of the motor. Voltage going where it should not. Standing by.

I’ve wired it for both high and low like I said it works for only the one speed as it’s wired for either high or low

Your wiring looks fine...might have to reverse red/black but nothing wired wrong.

Pumps 2 3 work fine they are one speed
Is there a way in low level programming to switch pump one from 1 to 2 speed
That’s what another guy told me

Give a little time to figure this out. I will check out your pics and equipment and check if LL programming is to blame. Thank you for your patience. The hum concerns me, it should either work in 2 speeds or only 1 speed with nothing happening in 2 speed. ? TTYS

Yes, it all in the programming. You configure each pump/component to work as needed.

Ok got ya
Humming may not be the right word the motor clicks as it should and it’s as if the motor wants to turn but can’t makes the noise and shuts of pauses then tries again spits water out of fountain as it tries each time
No problem with waiting thanks for your help

What happens if you plug pump 1 into pump 2? Do you get 2 speeds by pressing pump2 button?

The pump 1 orange will NOT plug into pump 2 purple? Is that correct?

Also...what is it that is plugged into the end blue socket on the bottom? Light, blower, circ pump?

Blue is blower

ty

Please try setting it to LL9 and see it that works. Standing by.

LL 4 is the highest

Okay. One last thing tonight.

Pump does work but only 1 speed (low or high?)and hums in the other...correct?

If you reverse the red/black wires on the pump, does it do the exact opposite hum then work (low or high)?

I am not sure if you have a motor issue or a control issue. Since we cannot swap proprietary pump plugs on your system there is no easy way to tell.

It is possible it is a system custom made for PDC and not a generic unit with a custom label on the topside.

Do you know the model/yr of the tub? Best guess...

Standing by

correct on your statement about wiring and speed
The topside is a ten button Pdc control
The bottom pack is a xm1

unclear if you reverse black/red on pump 1 if both speeds work since you mentioned the humming sound.

If wired for high speed high works humming on low
If wired for low speed low works humming on hi
Trying to get model and year of spa

What led to replacing the pump? Was it doing anything like now?

No leaking water from pump side probably seals gone
The fuses for 2 and 3 were blown prior to replaced all fuses with new

Okay. TY.

Thank you for your patience I just cannot think a reason for your problem. There is no peaking at the circuit board inside of those enclosures like every other brand. They are not the easiest to work on and generally you replace the pack with issues such as this one. I just can't be 100% certain of the motor, but I'm not convinced there is a problem with it, either. It may be one of those hands on service jobs, but I'll do my best to help you in this format. I will think about your problem and do some homework tonight. I'll have to get back in the morning. TTYS and good night.

Thank you very much goodnight

Disregard. Responding just clear alert from your reply.

Good night.

Good morning. Here is a link to the XM1 service manual. https://spacare.com/productimages/pdfmanuals/Gecko/Service_manual%20in_xm.pdf

I suggest you try resetting the pack by pressing the select button 2X. Then using pages 9-11 1st force reset the LL to the number it originally was...4 I think in your case. Then use the instructions to reset the Br breaker rating based on what you have. Usually it's 50amp but yours may be a 60amp gfci w/3 pumps.

Beyond that I don't know what to suggest. I've swapped pumps on these without any issues or resetting of anything. The proper LL number for your equipment should LL9, but maybe yours is OEM or that is only for the XM2 models. It is much more complicated than a spa system needs to be and not very owner friendly. I wish I was more help. Your motor is wired okay (may have to swap the red/black) and should not be the issue. It will be solved with the programming or possibly there is an issue in the system itself. If the low pump relay is stuck closed while the hi speed relay turns on...humming noise.

After doing the resetting of LL4 then Br rating and it still does not work properly, power off the system for a minute and try again.

Standing by.

TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy