Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

We installed a new pump recently on a "free" used hot tub…

We installed a new...

We installed a new pump recently on a "free" used hot tub given to us. It heated the water fine, but I cannot get the jets to activate (high speed) when I press the button on the keypad. We're quite sure we don't have the wires switched on the motor, but if so, could this prevent the high speed to activate and still make it default to the low speed setting used when heating the water? Also, does the ionizer work at low and high speeds?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Sweetwater

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what has to be done.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Here's what is going on (copied from previous query) We installed a new pump recently on a "free" used hot tub given to us. It heated the water fine, but I cannot get the jets to activate (high speed) when I press the button on the keypad. We're quite sure we don't have the wires switched on the motor, but if so, could this prevent the high speed to activate and still make it default to the low speed setting used when heating the water? Also, does the ionizer work at low and high speeds?

11/20/2017
john
john, master tech

what make and model?

TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Good Morning.

I have a few questions to help me help you better on your problem. Sweetwater used 2 methods to heat, 1 using a small dedicated circulation pump (not the jet pump/pumps) and 2 using the more traditional method of a 2 speed pump 1.

Do you know the model/yr of your tub or can you guess the approximately the year?

Does your model use a small circ. pump in addition to the jet pump/pumps?

Please describe how you wired your new pump. What color wire to common/high/low

Does pump 1 come on low speed automatically after powering up the tub...maybe a few minutes after?

Are you positive your model uses 2 speeds for pump 1? Some models use single speed pumps with circ pump for heating.

Any pics of the inside the control box and of the topside control would be very helpful. Please remember every brand/make/model is different in some way.

Thank you. I'll await your reply and try to respond as soon as possible.

The tub a Sweetwater LX-10 - Serial #9907200028 and is approx. 6-7 years old. It has a new two speed pump with the red wire connected to H, the black wire to L and white wire to C, plus the ground of course. The low speed came on within 5-6 seconds of turning the breaker on. This is a simple entry level tub and does not have a separate circulation/heating pump. Included are pics of the labels on the control box and the top side control.

Hello. Thanks for the info.

The pump should come on low speed when powered up or shortly after. It should run and the heater should turn on shortly after the pump. The ozone operates only on low speed, but if it's old it's probably shot....they have a 1-3 life usually.

When you press the pump/jet button it should cycle from low to high speed. What happens?

Standing by.

It does not activate the jets (high speed) and the temp. cannot be changed up or down.
The only thing that works on the control key pad is for the lights.

If you press with purpose will any button other than the light do anything?

I would try unplugging the control pad from the board. Power off the tub. Reconnect the control pad to the board. Power the the tub back on and see if it functions.

Negative. I've depressed as you say, with purpose momentarily and with durations of 2-10 seconds with no change.
I will try that tomorrow after work ad it's dark now. Can I respond tomorrow on whether that worked?

Okay please give my last reply a try and cross your fingers. Just come back when you tried my suggestion. TTYS

Standing by.

Will do - fingers crossed! Talk to you tomorrow.

Okay. TTYS Good Night

My curiosity got the better of me and I tried disconnecting the control panel after switching the breaker off and reconnecting to no avail. - bummer.

Good morning,

I would try unplugging it again, only unplug the control panel while the tub IS powered up and then turn the power off. Now plug it back in and turn the power back on again.

If that doesn't change anything, I would replace the topside control pad. There seems to an issue with what software versions will work with new control pads. Your exact pad is nla, but there is a replacement. I won't be sure it will work with your board until I see the software version on the board's prom chip.

I don't believe you are having an issue with the pump, it appears to be in the controls. I wish I had better news. If you contact the place below and they will assist you getting what you need and match it to your board's software version.

Here is a link to what you likely need http://www.spaandpoolsource.com/3-00-0193spabuildersspasidecontrol4buttonpumpandlight.aspx

If I have answered your question thoroughly, please leave a nice rating so I will be paid for my time. If you still have any questions or concerns, I am here to continue as long as necessary.

TheHotTubGuy
Did several variations of unplugging and powering on/off last night, including the one you mentioned.
Do you need to see a pic of the circuit board or do I need to pull it out to see it up close? Or is this something the people at the link you provided will need to see?

Thank you for the nice rating.

A good pic of the board should be fine. There is a rectangular chip with a software number. I need that to be clear of wires and in good view. It will tell me exactly which board and software version you have. I can double check tomorrow with my supplier if that will work with your board. You may need to change that chip with a topside, I am unclear if that's your case.

Standing by.

I can do that wjen I get home. If the replacement parts (PROM) and controller will from the parts site in the link you provided, costs looks to be around $160 plus shipping. Seems like it should work as it is for the LX 10 and LX 15 as far as I could tell.

Okay. TY.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible it may be Monday before I can reach anybody to confirm what you need. Talk to you soon have a nice holiday
I've waited this long, what's a few more days?
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

You too. I'll check and be back asap.

Good morning. I am pretty confident you will need the new prom chip in addition to the topside. Here are the links:

https://www.spaandpoolsource.com/3-00-0190spasidecontrollx-155button1pump.aspx

https://www.spaandpoolsource.com/3-60-1087SpaBuildersEprom.aspx

I hope this takes care of your issue, it's where I would start.

Thank you again for the kind rating and good luck.

Thanks for the info.

My pleasure. Have a nice weekend.