Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I just filled my spa for the winter and the control pad

Customer Question
I just filled my...

I just filled my spa for the winter and the control pad reads FLO what does this mean?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Vita

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depend

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No it is running but the pad reads FLO and is flashing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Home Guru, Handyman replied 8 months ago
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

There are 3 groups of error codes; Flow codes, relating to water flow, Heater codes, and Sensor codes. Let’s start at the top, today’s post is about water flow trouble codes on your spa panel. These are usually presented as FL, FLO or FLOW on your display, although it may be LF, for Low Flow, or PS for Pressure Switch.

LF, or Low Flow error codes on a spa or hot tub is really a self-preservation exercise for your hot tub. When water isn’t flowing fast enough through the heater, the FLO error code shuts things down, to avoid a total meltdown (well, not really a melt-down, but you know).

Flow problems are the number one source of trouble for the spa or hot tub owner. When the water isn’t flowing like it should, the heater stops working, equipment overheats and water quality quickly suffers. For Low Flow spa error codes, check the filter, check the pump and check the valves to find something that is obstructing the water flow. Could be a dirty filter, a clogged impeller, closed valve, or a piece of plastic film covering the spa drain. Could also be low water level. Sometimes, it’s actually a bad pressure switch or flow switch, or loose connections or damaged wires or wire connectors.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.