Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Our spa keeps giving the OH code, It may go a few days then…

Customer Question
Our spa keeps giving...

Our spa keeps giving the OH code, It may go a few days then it starts again

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Cal Spa, Ive changed the high limit switch

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I can't find a tech guy around willing to work on it but I' m pretty knowledgeable

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I put a new circuit board in it a few years back

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/18/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Home Guru, Handyman replied 8 months ago
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

OH, or OHH, or OHS (Overheat) all mean that a temperature sensor has detected unsafe water temperatures of 108° – 118° F, and your spa is in an emergency cool down mode, shutting off the heater, and turning on pump and blower to help dissipate heat.

Low Water Flow (LF, FLO), is the usual cause of an overheating (OH, OHH) spa or hot tub. When water doesn’t flow fast enough through the heater, it removes less heat, and the temperature of the water increases. Eventually, the temp sensors orhigh limit swithces will detect the increased water temperature and shut everything down. The causes of low water flow in a spa include:

• Dirty spa filter cartridge
  • Closed or partially closed valves or jets
  • Pump has an air lock, or has lost prime
  • Low water level in spa, skimmer sucking air
  • Spa drain cover is obstructed or pipe is blocked

If your water flow is perfectly fine, then you could have a problem with the thermostat or high limit switches used on older spa packs, which could fall out of calibration, or become too sensitive. Digital spas have electronic sensor circuits, which are more durable than mechanical switches, however temperature sensors, hi limit sensors, relays and circuit boards also eventually fail on modern spas. In most cases, for newer spas anyway, the water flow problem can be quickly remedied and the spa will cool, reset and start again on it’s own. Some panels need a prompt from you to restart. For spas without digital controls, you may need to manually reset the high limit switch near the heater housing. I would check those things and see.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.