Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a 2004 Hot Spring Envoy. Brand new no fault heater (

Hi- I have a 2004...
Hi- I have a 2004 Hot Spring Envoy. Brand new no fault heater ( jumper wire installed), new thermistor and high temp sensor, and a new circulation pump. About ten seconds after I power up the tub the green light flashes? Great circulation? Any input before I buy a new control head?
Phill
Answered in 2 days by:
11/20/2017
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Good morning,

Are you still having the same issue?

What is the current water temp using a thermometer?

Are you positive the jumper is on the correct pins?

Do the jet pumps still come on/off?

Sensors and circ pump issues usually are responsible for the green flashing light. Please do NOT buy a control head yet.

Waiting your response.

still having the issue. Yes the jets come on and off. It’s a fresh refil so the water is cold. 99% sure I put the jumper on the same two pins that the wires went to that are no longer on the new heater. I cut the old connector off ant twisted and wire nutted them together. The two open pins to the left are for ozone? Correct? And the new thermistor and can’t be exchanged?Phill

Thanks Phill

Okay...

You're sure the flow is great through the circ. pump and heater.

You replaced both sensors with the heater.

Jets work fine.

The jumper is jumped on the correct pins.

So...

Since the water temp is so cold, I would try this:
Turn the power off for a slow 10 count and reset breakers.

As soon as possible turn the jet pump/pumps on and keep the cover closed. Make sure the water level is clearly above all filters with the jets on and the skimmer weir is not stuck up creating a dam to the filters.

Run the pumps with lid closed should raise the water temp. Do this for several hours this morning or when possible.

Set the temp to where you would like it.

Update me if after several hours of jets running if you still have the issue. The jets will have to be restarted every 20mins or so.

IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN THAT THE CIRC PUMP IS FLOWING, PLEASE STOP AND REPLY. The newer style circ pumps cause the flashing light if there is an flow error detected by the circ pump.

TTYS

Thank you.

Phill,

If you can shoot me a pic of inside the IQ control box, it may be very helpful. I can double check all your wiring,sensor plug locations, and indicator lights on the boards. Thank you.

Thanks. I will try this when I get home. The circulation pump seems to be pumping strong. I don’t have the filters in so I’m sure it’s not a restriction issue.Phill
I will do that. I will be home at 3:45 EST.Phill
What about this as a short cut.....I will put my old still good thermistor in the heater and unplug it from the board. Plug the new thermistor into the board and put it in a warm glass of water? ... should get instant feedback?Phill

If you have 2 good old therms and 2 new therms in the heater, just leave them in and plug the old therms into the board and place them in a mug of warm NOT HOT water for a minute the reset the power fresh. If the sensors are good and the circ is flowing properly then it should not flash the green light as long as the the pres. switch is jumpered properly. Since you're bypassing both sensors, if for any reason the heater begins to make a sizzle or boiling noise, remove the pressure jumper immediately to disable the heater.

Also, make certain of proper water level and that the caps are on the filter pipes. If any air gets sucked into the grey pipe the circ pump will cavitate and flash the green light. It is unlikely, but possible, you have a bad new sensor, but cold water startups (-50) often cause headaches with hot springs startups.

Reply if you have any other questions or concerns. I will stick with you until resolved regardless if have rated me or not.

Just a note: I have to reply to you to clear alerts on my end regardless if they are pertinent or not to the answer, so please just disregard any reply with an *. Thank you

TheHotTubGuy
Here’s the scoop, it looks like I’m all set, time will tell, green lights not flashing and heater led on the panel is lit. Long story short: old thermistor worked in warm water and cold hot tub (46 degrees) ?? As it always has. But the new thermistor only worked in the warm water bowl but not the cold hot tub. So I have the old thermistor back in now. - Thanks for input!! Phill

Great news. Just a tip...never over tighten those thermistors!

They can be frustrating restarting in cold weather. It always is problem in the field during cold months.

Have a nice day.

Spoke to soon......must need the heater relay board, no heat, I just put in the heater so it’s not the problem. Bummer. I’m hoping someone local will have relay board 77119 in stock, Again thanks for your assistance. - Phill
I'll troubleshoot that for you in the morning if you wish...before you buy one.

Phill,

If your heater board IS bad, you WILL see a burnt relay. Always visible from the back of the board, but usually from the front, also. Look closely and sniff it...it will smell burnt. Don't buy one until thoroughly checking yours out...the damage is always visible.

Check to see if the new heater has a mechanical hi-limit reset. Some do, some don't, but yours doesn't have a pressure switch so maybe it does. It will be a small button you press probably on the back of the black end. Sorry for your troubles, good luck!