Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I also have an older model Cal spa. The heater works and…

Customer Question
I also have an older...
I also have an older model Cal spa. The heater works and shuts off at high limit. When the temp drops the thermostat turns on the no freeze and the pump runs but the heater does not re-engage. I replaced the high limit switch and the double pole contactor (the contactor appeared to be a problem as it was not engaging to turn on the heater) that runs the heater. Same issue is still occurring. With a good slap the heater engages but it would be great to figure this out so it can run autonomously.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/18/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Home Guru, Handyman replied 8 months ago
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

You likely have a bad connection from the low voltage wiring from the contactor to the board, have you checked that?

I checked the connectors when I replaced the contactor. I have not opened the board to check inside but the outside connections seem solid

Check them I would ay maybe you have a connection at the board can you check that?

Any thoughts as to why it seems to occur only after the high limit cuts it off? It doesn't seem to cause much vibration shutting down.

WHy is the high limit cutting out?

Once it reaches reaches 104°. Am I misunderstanding how the switch works?

Do you mean the regular thermostat?

Hmmm, maybe I've misunderstood how the system works. So the adjustable thermostat is both the high and low setting for the no freeze setting on the controller?

You may need to calibrate the thermostat, determine if your hot tub can be calibrated by looking at the back side of the thermostat. If a small Allen screw or flat screw is present, it is most likely used for calibration.

I am fairly certain there is an adjustment screw on the thermostat. Would this being out of calibration cause the following symptom: no freeze setting runs pump but does not engage heater?

If it is way out of calibration and the unit thinks it is too cold or it is too cold yes.

Using the Allen wrench or flat screwdriver, turn the screw on the back of the thermostat one-quarter turn clockwise. This will increase the temperature calibration. Wait for the water to heat up. Now use the thermometer to recheck the temperature. Compare the results with the thermostat. If more heat is needed to calibrate the water temperature with the thermostat, turn the calibration screw another quarter turn. Repeat as necessary until your hot tub's water temperature matches the thermostat. If the water temperature does not satisfy the thermostat setting after calibration, you may need to replace the thermostat.