Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I had my Calspa (built 1999-2003 I think) drained for a

Customer Question
Hi, I had my...

Hi, I had my Calspa (built 1999-2003 I think) drained for a couple months. When I filled it up again and turned on the power it went to "100" then "63" then the jets ran for 2-3 seconds and then it turned off. There was definitely a burning smell too. It never did a diagnostic check or anything. Any ideas what I can do or need to replace?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It only started when I filled up the spa yesterday. The spa will go on with the jets going, then stop for several minutes and then go on again for a few seconds. It keeps cycling like this with the safety suction light on.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends if you think it's an easy fix, or if I should just call a tech.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/15/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 3 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Most likely the problem is air trapped in the system from filling. It is recommended to fill spas from the filter ports so the air can escape as it is being filled, rather than air getting trapped inside all the plumbing when filled from the tub area. You will need to remove/purge all the air which will make your sensors and switches operate properly and will most likely keep the heater working instead of overheating and shutting down. It will also make the pumps and jets push water instead or air and water.

Thanks, ***** ***** fill the spa from the filter ports. How do I remove all the air properly?
I also removed the air. There's still the burning smell...

Release the air from either an air relief valve (if installed) or you can crack a quick fitting at the pump or heater or both if necessary. As for the burning smell that would need to be described more in detail, electrical, plastic, rubber, etc and where do you smell it the strongest?

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted, however…

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave

I have not been able to locate any additional information, if you need further assistance just let me know and I will continue researching.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Hi,I tried the solution you gave of cracking the pipe fittings to release the air pockets. It's still not working. The pump comes on and then shuts off quick... Maybe it's something with the heater. I found a hot tub repair guy in town who can work on it.
Thanks anyways.

I noticed that I received a negative rating for my response to this question and I am curious as to why? Please note that I am merely the messenger who is obligated to be truthful, honest, factual, and sincere to all our customers, without exception, even if the answer does not appear to be helpful, resolve their problem, or was not the response the customer was hoping to receive.

Was the answer I provided to this question incomplete, irrelevant, not helpful, or did I misunderstand your post, or is it possible that it was more of an upsetting situation, and not the quality of my response, which prompted the negative rating?

If we could have communicated more I believe we could have narrowed down the problem and found a solution instead of responding in this manner. Since I am not in front of the spa I only have basic information to initially work with and provide possible solutions to hopefully resolve the problem or at a minimum be able to eliminate possibilities to a specific area.

If you can take a few moments and please explain the reasons for the negative choice, or if you would like additional information, or an explanation and reasons for my reply, just let me know as I would appreciate another opportunity to change this rating into a positive one. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified