Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

The main gfci breaker will trip once a while, what is the…

Customer Question
The main gfci breaker...

The main gfci breaker will trip once a while, what is the possible problem to cause this?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The last couple weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Running Amps, is only 10 Amps, the main GFCI is rated at 60 Amp.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 8 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your pool and spa GFCI question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

G​FCI's are designed to trip from resistance (load) not from the amperage of the breaker. Many are sensitive to the smallest amount of resistance (the amount between a neutral and ground) will set off normal GFCI's that are in kitchens and bathrooms. GFCI's on electrical panels serve 2 purposes, 1 being the breaker part (60amps) and the safety part (resistance) should there be an increase in load. The pump (motor) runs at 10amps, but the starting amps is higher (only to help with the start), many pumps use start and run assistance (capacitors) and if a capacitor is starting to wear out (higher load) it may trip the GFCI.

The best thing is to make sure all connections are secured and properly grounded, both in the panel and on the pump. If you have anything else on this same circuit (motors, lights, compressors, etc) they all have a higher resistance level and can trip the GFCI. Also if the pump gets hotter than normal (increased resistance) that can trip the GFCI. I would keep an eye on it and see if you can tell what the system was doing when the GFCI trips and you can most likely isolate the cause.

I hope this answers your question, if you locate the probable cause, let me know and we can discuss further a viable solution.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted, however…

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave

I have not been able to locate any additional information from what has already been listed, however if you require more assistance please let me know what you are looking for and I will continue my research.

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 7 months ago

I have not been able to locate any additional information on this issue and since I have not received any feedback, I am thinking the recommendations I mentioned above have been helpful in resolving this problem. If you still need additional assistance just let me know by using the reply box.

Thanks,

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 6 months ago

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on November 14, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

Thanks,

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 5 months ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 4 months ago

Your assistance is needed... A​s of today this question is over 90 days old and based on the nature of the problem along with the recommendation that were provided, I would like for us to close out this question, however to do that it requires a rating by you as explained below.

Please note that the rating is only based on the experts attempt to resolve the problem. If you feel a credit or refund is applicable, please contact customer service directly as the experts are not authorized to handle these matters.

​Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I sincerely ***** *****

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 3 months ago

Thank you,

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 2 months ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 1 month ago

I do apologize for these continuing follow-up messages, however since this question remains open and will only close out once the rating portion has been completed by you. Please assist me by taking a few moments to fulfill the rating requirement and this will satisfy the system.

Thank you so much, I sincerely ***** *****

Best,

Dave

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 25 days ago

Greetings...

Thanks,

Dave