Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

We have a Sundance Optima 880 Series and the thermometer is…

We have a Sundance...

We have a Sundance Optima 880 Series and the thermometer is showing a temp of 110 and setting is at 87. Water feels like its 65. Before the spa freezes what do we do

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Sundance Spas

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's easy

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have turned the power off and on just now and the heater came back on.So now I have to wait and see if it shuts off at the set temp or not. Sometimes it just keeps on going to 115 degrees and power shuts off automatically. So lets wait unless you have a technical guy that can stop by.

11/13/2017
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

This sounds like the sensors are bad. You have a temperature sensor and a high Limit sensor. The thermostat is designed to go from 80 degrees to 104, the high limit is set to shut the heater down at 112 degrees if the thermostat fails. The fact the it said 112 but felt like 65 tells me the thermostat is bad. If you open the control box you will see the circuit board and locate where the sensors plug into board, usually on the top area and trace the wires back to each sensor and replace.

In extreme cases we have seen this also be a bad circuit board but start with the easy stuff.

Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition