Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a 2003 sweetwater palermo spa that I just got for…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 sweetwater palermo spa that I just got for free .

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

It

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sweetwater palermo by sundance and yes I will do my own work

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have never seen it fully work. wh3n I got it it had freeze damage. I fixed all that and wired it up. it turned on for like 10 seconds said 68 degrees and then just shut off the screen went blank and it absent gone back on even after flipping the breaker on and off. I used a non contact electrical tester at first to see if there is power running though the lines and there is it seems everywhere

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 2 days by:
11/13/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 8 months ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

The topside control gets its power from the transformer on the circuit board if there is one. Sundance of newer years does not use transformers they are 220 3 wire spas. If you do not have a transformer then find where the topside plugs into board and test for poer out to topside. If that is good the topside is bad.

it does have a transformer and it is 3 wire. are you referring to the top side as the place you adjust the temp and turn on the jets.

Yes the topside is where you see the display. Since there is a transformer test voltage both going in (220) and coming out, if nothing on the out side then it is a bad transformer.

how exactly do you test the transformer? I unplugged the transformer from the harness and stuck the red lead from multi meter in the port and it showed like .30 volts
ok so I testers the port on the board where the transformer harness plugs in to. I got 127 or so out of where the red and black wire from transformer would have plugged in. then snipped the yellow wires on the transformer that were leading back to the harness and tested those. I was only getting like .15 out of each of those. does this mean the transformer is likely bad

Transformers are usually plugged into the board with white or yellow plugs, see if you can insert your test probes into the plugs from the back side of the plug to test voltage, or un plug it and test it at the female plug spot on board.

I'm assuming that the wires going in to the transformer from the board are 120 then the yellow wires leading back to the board from the transformer should be about 12 volts correct?

You have to read the tag on the transformer to see if it is a 120 volt or 220 volt power in transformer but out should usually be 24 Volts

is that per wire 24v. because there are 2 yellow wires. also does the fact that I used a 60a spa panel vs a 50a make a difference

24 would be total output. The amperage going out to the spa would not effect this situation. If transformer is good then most likely the topside control is bad. Also make sure all fuses are good on circuit board.

th3 yellow wires are only putting out about 1 volt each so I assume it's the transformer. I looked for fuses and could only find 2 one large 30 amp and one very tiny one on the board

OK then get a new transformer and replace that first. Here is a site to look at them, verify the numbers on your transformer.

http://www.spaandpoolsource.com/sundance-spas-transformers.aspx