Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My pool filter is not moving water. I tried to prime it

Customer Question
My pool filter is...

My pool filter is not moving water. I tried to prime it several times and it does not have suction. The intakes are not obstructed. The motor is working.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

It is a Hayward pump 3/4 HP.The model number is ***** off but I think it is a 900 E cartridge filter..

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I am aware. can I dismantle the pump to see if the impeller is damaged? CAN THE IMPELLER BE REPLACED?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/7/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 9 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your pool question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

I​f the pump has a hard time priming most likely it is because you have air trapped in the filter that needs to be released. Once released the pump will have greater suction (because it doesn't have to try and overcome the stored air pressure) the was preventing the pump from priming. The best way to do this is at the top of the filter near the pressure gauge should be a release valve. If not I highly recommend you install one to save a lot of headaches later. Here is a link showing a few examples of the relief valves with the pressure gauge attached. In addition once the air is released the normal pressure on a clean filter is around 10-12psi if the pressure is higher than 20-22psi it is time to backwash. Air can enter into the system in many ways, but one of the most common ways is from leaks. Any equipment leaks need to be repaired, other wise when the pump shuts down air is now being drawn in and eventually the pump will lose its prime. Think about a straw in a drink. Put your finger over the end of the straw, bring the straw out of the drink and the liquid remains, release your finger and the liquid drains away quickly as air replaces it.

http://h2oco.com/online_catalog/catalog/b/b_26.htm

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave