Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I purchased a used 1993 Hot Tub. I have been using it the…

Customer Question
I purchased a used 1993...
I purchased a used 1993 Coleman Hot Tub. I have been using it the past few years. I was getting a "FLO" error message from time to time, but it didn't seem to affect the performance. I was also getting an "ILOC" error once a week or so. It would just be shut down, but as soon as I hit a button or two it would fire back up. I replaced the temp sensor as well as the pressure sensor as I noticed that the wire had broke and had a poor repair job. I just filled it up for the winter and turned it on. It warms up to mid-90s and then an "ILOC" shows up and shuts it off. I wait several minutes, hit a button on the topside it fires up only to do the same thing after 3-5 minutes... one time it blew the breaker too. I have never had a "SN1" or "SN3" error code, but in the past had seen "OH" a time or two. when the topside says heater is on, I am getting about 243 volts across the heater element posts. When everything is off, I get about 12 ohms for resistance. I disconnected the blower, didn't help. I pulled the basket and filter out and didn't help. I disconnected the high side of the pump and got an "OH" error pretty quickly. I then plugged that back in and disconnected the low side and eventually got an "ILOC" error code.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
IMG_20171105_204349857 (...gifIMG_201...gifIMG_20171105_204337370 (...gifIMG_201...gifIMG_20171105_204251422 (...gifIMG_201...gifIMG_20171105_204245173 (...gifIMG_201...gif
Answered in 1 day by:
11/9/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Cole, Salesman replied 9 months ago
Cole
Cole, Salesman

Hi there, I'm Cole. I see your asking about spas and I think I can help. so i see what you have done by pulling out the filter and trying it that way. it looks like your tub runs off two sensors one is the thermostat and the other should be a high limit. if you are getting proper flow(especially with the filter out) than i think you have a bad hi limit sensor. you could follow where that sensor goes... usually its just in a well in the heater element but sometimes its near the filter housing. if not too expensive i would try and replace the sensor or the sensors (sometimes only sold as a pair, hi-limit and thermostat) thats where i would start. your error codes are referring to either an overheat or flow problem in relation too your hi-limit sensor. your voltage and ohms on heater seem to be correct. if it was my tub i would try the sensors 1st. i hope i helped out. have a great day and i appreciate your feedback and ratings. let me know how you did. thanks

Thanks for the help. I have already replaced the sensors. Over email, a tech from Balboa told me I needed jumpers between the interlock pins. I got those in today but that didn't work either.

sounds like your on the right track. i would also clean the pins really well that the sensors plug into. sometimes its as simple as that. good luck to you.

I've already tried that too. Any other suggestions?