Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a coast spa and am getting a HL code and the pumps…

Customer Question
I have a coast...

I have a coast spa and am getting a HL code and the pumps won't run. If i disconnect the temp sensor plug, the pumps run but I get a p r r message. I changed the temp sensor with no help.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Coast spa

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Unless I cag get someone, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don;t believe so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
11/2/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 7 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. I’m sorry that your question has gone on for so long now without an expert responding to it, however it has recently appeared on my available list. Please allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make comments, or would like to upload helpful photos, you can use the reply box below.

I should also mention, and I’m sure you’ll agree, that unfortunately not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, all with the intention of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

Yep you have a few issues to troubleshoot and isolate. Basically the HL error code is a high limit sensor may have been tripped, you may be able to reset it if it is that type. The other error code PRR is for temperature sensors alarm. This may be caused by a couple of problems and maybe the high and low sensors are too far apart (temperature range) which could be setting the sensors off. It could also be a flow switch issue or air trapped in the system setting the high limit sensor off. The best way to determine what is causing this is to bypass these items and see if the codes go away, if so bad part, if not the part is most likely working properly, however something else is setting it off. It will take some time a patience to trace out the problems, but through a process of elimination you can do it fairly easy providing you have to proper tools and testing equipment. If not I recommend contacting a trusted service provider that can usually trace out the problem in a reasonable time, however the important thing is to make sure the parts are faulty. Too many service companies tell customers they need to replace working items because they can make more money. This is way each item needs to be traced and verified it is faulty.

All I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating before leaving the site, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations. If you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it will be much better for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. However, if I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will allow other experts a chance to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Thank you for using Just Answer!

Dave

I have already tried what you suggest with no results. I was wondering if i just jumped the pressure switch (bypass the switch) the system would sense pressure and everything would operate normally.

Y​es jumping is the way to determine if the switch is good or faulty. If the errors go away then most likely that is causing the problems.

Well Dave, you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, so you are no help to me. Thanks for trying, but I think I beter be looking for a circuit board.
Don't charge my card. Thanks, Steve

O​k Steve I understand you will need to contact customer service for any refund, please bear in mind as people on the opposite end of the computer we have know way of knowing what information or steps you have already attempted, however the responses you have received are the necessary steps in order to find the problem, some easier than others, and while it may be a circuit board, unless you know something factual it is a guess, perhaps correct, but as an expert my commitment to you the customer is not to guess. It is to dissect a problem and form a logical and probable solution that the customer can attempt on their own if possible to try and save them money. Otherwise we would all just say, hire a local service provider to resolve the issue. If you can understand and accept my attempt and professionalism I would appreciate a positive rating for trying since it has absolutely no bearing on monies spent or refunded.

Good luck with the circuit board I hope it resolves the problem, if not and you would like to have me continue to help, I am more than happy to do so.

Best,

Dave