Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a Hayward H400IDL2 pool heater. The display on the…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Hayward H400IDL2 pool heater. The display on the keypad panel displays intermittently, usually not at all. Touch buttons work and other lights - standby, pool, spa, service and heat all work. I just cannot see the temp display. Any thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

It is an inground pool and spa.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I have just serviced the heater and decided to try and resolve the display issue. Apart from this everything is working ok. Heater cuts out when spa temp is somewhere between 95 and 100 F .

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is about it - I don't use the heater on the pool as it takes forever to warm up.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
10/17/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Check the voltage output from the transformer when the control display is down. Could be a failing transformer. Also check the fuses and connections betwen board and transformer

I have checked the transformer, 26V across pins 1 & 2. 126V across pins 4 & 6 so the transformer is good. All 4 fuses OK and connections all appear good.

If you have good connections and voltage when the display is down then the display board is suspect.

How can I confirm this before buying a new one?

You just took the troubleshooting steps. There is no further confirmation. I will note that connections "appearing good" is not a test. You need to tug on/wiggle the leads between the main board and the control board as well as between the control board and the display while the display isdown.

poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company