Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Our hot tub is turned down to 80 but is still heating up to…

Our hot tub is...

Our hot tub is turned down to 80 but is still heating up to 102-106? It's cold out

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Catalina

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ummm I think it depends on the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. It's baffling and I'm worried it's running our power bill through the roof

10/18/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Y​es it is very baffling at times not to mention expensive. Chances are it could be a few things. I would check to make sure you do not have a stuck button somewhere, or a stuck relay, then I would look to see if a sensor is causing the problem, then I would make sure I don't have a communication error between the topside control and circuit board.

You can troubleshoot these areas and possibly narrow down the cause. For instance if you disconnect the top side control but the heater still won't shut off, then a relay is probable, as that would eliminate any problems with the top side controller or communication errors. Bypassing a sensor will also isolate if the sensor is faulty or not.

If you can eliminate the possibilities, you can then better determine how to resolve the problem.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

Thank you David. I will look at those troubleshooting methods tomorrow. I'm not sure where to start on doing them. I will let you know how it goes.

You are welcome hopefully it will be something simple to fix.

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified