Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My heater has not worked all summer. my son knows a bit

Customer Question
My heater has not...

My heater has not worked all summer. my son knows a bit about electronics and has replaced 2 boards inside the pool heater and still not working. what happens is when you set the temp at say 80 degrees and the pool temp is at 74 the heater flashes up and sounds like it should then when it fires the temp gauge will flash 74 then 75 then 76 then 77 the 78 and then 79 and the 80 all within about a few seconds and shuts down

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

Its a hayward heater about 7 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

My son will

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope there was a few other things before he replaced the 2 boards but not now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
10/3/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 8 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Here is a link to a Hayward Heater for reference and how to reset the control board. It sounds like you may have 1 of 2 possibilities. You are either in Standby Mode or Lockout Mode. If that is not the problem let me know as the problem may also be a high temp sensor that has been tripped.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/UniversalH-seriesLowNOx-HxxxFDOwners.pdf

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question.

All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question, if you believe it has relevance on this issue. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

When the heater temp rises rapidly to the set temp it shuts off and flashes HS. Do I have to reset that somehow?

HS is the error code for Water Temperature Sensing Error

A) Inlet water temperature sensor is reporting a temperature in excess of 104°F. Normal operation resumes 2 minutes after inlet water temperature sensor reports temperatures of 104°F or less. This error functions in both normal and remote thermostat modes.
or
B) Inlet water temperature sensor is reporting a temperature change at a rate faster than 6°F in 60 seconds, indicating a potentially damaging low water flow conditon. Normal operation resumes when temperatures stabilize. If this condition is detected 3 times, the heater will lock-out until the electrical power is cycled off and back on.

I​f you can bypass this sensor and then see if the heater will work normally then the problem is a bad sensor. If not then the problem is elsewhere and will require a service technician to further diagnose.

G​reetings... Just following up to see if you needed further assistance or if the information and recommendation were helpful? if not let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution.

Best,

Dave