Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I re-filed and started up my Leisures Edge LE852, yesterday.

Customer Question
I re-filed and started...

I re-filed and started up my Leisures Edge LE852, yesterday. After being empty for 2 months. All went well and was working fine, including both jet pumps. This morning my Jet 2 pump does not run, it just hums then shuts down after about 30 seconds. Can you help me?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just since this morning

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just that I have not had any issues and have been running this spa for a year, with the exception of the last 2 months.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Premium Leisure LE852

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
10/2/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 10 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Most likely you have an air lock in the system which is typical from recent filling. Recommend removing the filters and placing a garden hose inside the filter hole with a rag placed around the hose to prevent blowback. If you can get the pumps running that will help push the trapped air out. If that doesn't work you will need to crack open a quick fitting near the pump and let the air out. If you get any error codes let me know.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question.

All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question, if you believe it has relevance on this issue. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

That did not work, another point, when I filled the tub the first time a year ago my pre-filter had a blowout and i got flakes of filter media in the water. I see a few of this flakes remaining in the transparent feed line to the top waterfall jets. That valve is also malfunctioning, IE won't turn off.Like I said in my original question, the pump was functioning fine yesterday after completing re-fill, I actually ran it thru 2 cycles of 15 minutes.

I​f the pump hums it sounds like it is stuck or the impeller isn't turning. Are you able to spin it by hand?

Anyway to do that without draining the tub?

Unfortunately no. Pump needs to be disconnected to access impeller area. If you do drain it I recommend refilling through the filters not directly into the tub. This will force air out instead of drawing it in.

Here is a link to the owners manual for reference and recommended start up procedures. Before pulling the pump I would make sure everything else is working properly.

https://www.premiumleisure.com/Manuals/LeisuresEdgeOM.pdf

G​reetings... Just following up to see if you needed further assistance or if the information and recommendation were helpful? if not let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution.

Best,

Dave

Sorry for my delay, hade to leave town for a while. Back now, eliminated air lock potential, did no t solve. Drained tub, exposed impeller and it moves freely but with a little resistance, not sure if it should spin freely with a hand twist?
I drained the tub, removed pump, impeller moves freely but with some resistance?
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 9 months ago

T​he impeller will have some resistance as you spin it, but not much. Pump not spinning and humming indicates weak voltage to either the pump or from the capacitor. The only way to know which is using a voltage tester. If you have the proper voltage then most likely the capacitor is weak or bad. Capacitors can be replaced however the motor should be bench tested to see if repair or replacement is best.