Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

POOL HEATER PROBLEM I have a Jandy LT400 N-L serial number

Customer Question
POOL HEATER PROBLEMI have a...
POOL HEATER PROBLEMI have a Jandy LT400 N-L serial number J05LL 0484. Mfg 2005. The heater isnt working right. It starts to work. Turns on, the cycles off. Did that twice. Tried to duplicate tonight and it worked fine. Rookie pool man, who admits he doesn't know heaters, said we need new heater (of course because he cannot repair but he sure can take one out and replace it!). He said air blower not working right.When pool man did the test, Heater light panel had lights come on that said "air flow" and "service". Tonight none of those lights came on and it worked fine. Is there some regular service it needs? I'm sure my pool man doesn't have a clue as to preventative maintenence.Thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
9/30/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Based on your description it sounds like you probably have an intermitent problem with the draft pressure switch if the draft fan is running. This switch must prove adequate draft or the burners won't fire up. Could also be clogged vac tubing that's connected to the switch.

Hi Rick
Nice to see you again. Last night the heater worked fine with no problems. How do we determine if what you're saying may be the case? How do we clean it? We are handy and will have three handy people at the house today. Can you send me a link to a diagram so that we can find that switch and clean the tube? What else would you recommend for maintenence on this unit? I'm sure it's getting no maintenence and it's sitting outdoors.

Draft switch looks like one in the attached pic. It's inside the control enclosure. It has a small diameter vacuum tube connected to it. That tubing should be clear (no water in it), no kinks and where it connects to the exhaust hood should be open. You can poke a paper clip into that port (not the switch end). It's also possible there is debris in the fan blades that's affecting the draft. If none of this works then a bad switchis the next most liely culprit.

Now why didn't you answer my sliding glass door problem in the same manner as this question? You've been good in the past. You have to understand. I had a break in. A VIP client is checking in tomorrow (for a $30,000 rental) and I have no choice but to take who I can get at this juncture. All of the professionals I called were either busy or on another Job hence by emergency message to you, who blew me off!I've been forced to call JA and file a complaint against you. I don't appreciate my intelligence questioned. I'm going to be giving JA a free shout out on my upcoming life hacks TV show that I'm in production of now and cannot be having people like you blow me off, as a woman, and as a person who needs emergency help. That's not the point of the website and my objection to you blowing me off this morning.

I did nothing of the sort. I simply chose to not continue with that question given your demands. I'm sorry if you're under the gun but that's not the result of anything I did.

That's your opinion and for those in the know at JA to determine. You exacerbated the situation by not simply giving me the protocol for existing construction sliding door installation that I asked for. You inserted your opinion as to who I should hire. That's not for you to determine. That's my decision. Your refusal to answer what should be a relatively easy question resulted in me flailing around, calling my contractor friends and added an extreme amount of stress to an already stressful situation. You had no right to do that and I believe others will agree with me.

ok

poolguy810
poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company