Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I'm having error code 90 on my intex hot tub. Intex. I have…

Customer Question
I'm having error code...

I'm having error code 90 on my intex hot tub.

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the hot tub?

Intex

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have been.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
The intex hot tub is 6 months old. I have gotten Error code 90 in the past and simply cleaned the filters and the problem was resolved. I powered the hot tub down while out of town for 5 days and when I powered it back up I immediately received code 90. I bought a replacement control panel and received the same code. I checked the lines for clogs but there are none. I checked the flow sensor and it seemed to operate normally. I checked the pump for clogs and the impeller pump shaft and they were fine. Out of things to try. -Jim Brady
9/26/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 10 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hi Jim...

The E90 code is not very specific other than a major problem, however the major problem may be due to several different components. The pump, airlock, heater, or flow sensors. There have been multiple reports from other Intex owners claiming that they either accidentally or without knowing, knocked something loose when they turned it on its side (in most cases the wrong side) and the pump became loose or something internal shifted. It sounds like you already looked at that so if the info below applies, try this and see if the problem goes away.

Unplug the unit. The E90 code on the Intex spa is due to a dirty water flow sensor. Remove the control panel and all the screw holding the casing on. In the white plastic piece on the discharge, top hose, you will see a silver nut with a black wire coming from it. That's the sensor. The black wire is plugged into a white wire, carefully unplug it and unscrew the sensor. Clean it good and blow out the hole it goes in. This will fix the code and you will be back in business!

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question.

All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question, if you believe it has relevance on this issue. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

I saw that response elsewhere on the web but there were no black wire to white wire connections. However, I did clean a bunch of debris out of the passageways including the flow sensor. One thing worthy of noting is that the error does not come up immediately. First I turn it on and it's okay. It isn't until I press the heat button that the flame lights up along with the filter light. Them 20 seconds later the E90 code flashes.

W​ill it run for a long time without the E90 if you don't press the heat button? If so then the problem is directly related to the heater and filter area, which suggests the sensor are detecting no water cooling, either because of a bad sensor, air in the system, or something on the heater circuit making the E90 code appear.