Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My pool heater says sw roll out switch open

Customer Question
Hi. My pool heater...
Hi. My pool heater says sw roll out switch open
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Billy, Technician replied 8 months ago
Billy
Billy, Technician

My name is Billy. This is generally a heat activated switch down by the burners. If the vent gets plugged, the heat exchanger...even high winds...can force the flame/heat backwards and trip this switch. Some are able to be reset others need to be replaced.

What unit do you have or do you have a picture of the burner area?

I can take a picture. Where do I send it?

you just attach it to this chat using the attach files link

downloading now...just a moment

can you post a picture of the burner manifold area?

I'd you tell me what the burner manifold is
What's the burner manifold area?

follow the gas pipe into the unit.....the gas pipe goes to a gas valve....from there it goes to burners

great...that is gas valve...now pan out so I can see side to side in that area

Any luck?

That is it....see the picture HERE

Yours is a one and done...meaning you will need to go to pool supply and buy a new one.

You can test for SHORT while by removing the 2 red wires and connecting directly together..

Pleas check for anything that could have forced heat backward like plugged vent pipe..

Just rate service to move off the active list (5 star system)

Billy

Billy

that's it? No easy fix here?
Will connecting them together do anything?

This is actually the easiest repair...2 screws and 2 wires. No need to remove gas valve or wires from circuit board.

This is the easiest fix on the entire unit...connecting them together will work...BUT if the reason the flame backed out is still present you could overheat the front cabinet

Got it. I'll try connecting them together and see what happens
Do I leave them connected?

is there another one like that on other side or just that one?

Just that one

yes they would remain connected....however I hope you understand I cannot instruct to bypass and leave a safety out of the wiring loop.

No worries. I cannot even remove them without too much force so won't try

They will eventually have to come off to plug onto new switch....they are slide on spade connectors...but with pool heaters are generally rusted and need pliers to work them off.

Okay. Thanks

I wish you well on the repair...just rate service with the 5 star system to move off active list..

Thank you,

Billy

Billy
Billy
Billy, Technician