Pool and Spa

Questions about Pool Repair? Ask an Expert Online.

Pool and Spa

I have a hayware 36 gal DE pool filter. It will not give

Customer Question
pressure reading on pressure relief...
I have a hayware 36 gal DE pool filter. It will not give pressure reading on pressure relief valve assy
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: Hayward
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, I replaced air relief assy, tested guage .and relief water extrusion.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Relief water works. I removed new vale and blew through bottom of valve, air comes out ok. close air relief or open, it functions o'k. I checked Rubber O'rings they for leaks, none, bolts on clamp are on tight.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
I set pump to run for 30 Mins then while running open relief valve, air comes out for approx for 5 mins. still no pressured reading. I assume there is air getting in the tank.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/17/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 3 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Typically if you are not building any pressure it is due to the pump not having a sufficient prime. The pump needs to suck water from the pool and fill the filter. If no pressure is building the water is not filling up the filter. Try running the pump with a good prime, let the gauge start to get at least 5psi, and then slowly open the valve just a crack for 5seconds and close it. You will have to repeat this procedure until enough water is being pumped into the filter and then you can slowly release more air. The closer the water gets to the top of the filter the higher the air pressure will be.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

From the information you’ve provided, I will try to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way to communicate, since either of us may have additional information or questions, that may be necessary in resolving the problem your experiencing, and uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice and recommendations. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that I may not be able to resolve this problem, especially if it becomes necessary for a qualified service provider to be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, or troubleshooting.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?

I have tried this method you requested with no response from gauge.
I a thinking of removing guage and relief device from top of tank and pour water in open port. Although, I am concerned I will loose existing pressure already there.
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 2 months ago

T​he gauge is irrelevant, you need to remove the air out of the filter. There is only 1 way to do that. The pump must have a good prime to continue drawing/sucking water from the pool and pushing it into the filter. If the pump isn't primed it can't do that. Once the water starts flowing it will fill the filter quick. Releasing the air from the filter will allow the water to fill the entire filter and then the pump will not be sucking in anymore air unless the water level is too low in the pool or there is a leak somewhere.

If the gauge still doesn't read any pressure then usually the gauge is faulty.

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified