David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

I have a fiberglass inground pool using Baciquil. I wanted

Customer Question

I have a fiberglass inground pool using Baciquil. I wanted to close the pool but the water is green. I had the chemicals checked and the pool people said everything is OK as chemical wise it is ready to close. I vacuumed, added extra shock and PH increaser - in case, but the water is still green. I'm thinking I should not close intil the water is clear. Any suggestions?
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: don't know off hand, but I've had it for over 5 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It's been fine all summer. I've had to add PH increaser twice to keep the water clear, but other than that no problems. I have a sand filter - the sand was changed in 2016 season
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  David Bowden replied 1 month ago.

Here is a link to better understand how deal with the pool being green and what may be causing it. Green pools can be very frustrating to correct and get from coming back. You will need to focus on 3 key items.

1. Filtration. You need to start with a clean filter, backwashing may be necessary after every vacuuming session. You need to remove the algae from the system otherwise you are just recirculating it back into the pool where it can continue to grow. The filter also needs to run 8-10hrs a day so the chemicals can do their job.

2. Make sure the chlorine levels remain high even after shocking. Shock is a short time cure, but it may not be enough to overcome the algae growth. Test the water daily and add the proper amount of chemicals. If may also require a different type of chemical to be added, example is granular chemicals vs. liquid.

3. If you do not see any immediate results you may need to change the water. If a water change is necessary then you have an opportunity to really clean the walls of the algae before adding more water. If you don't then changing the water will have little impact.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Green-Water-in-a-Swimming-Pool

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

From the information you’ve provided, I will try to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. All my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way to communicate, since either of us may have additional information or questions, that may be necessary in resolving the problem your experiencing, and uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice and recommendations. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of this request.

Please note that I may not be able to resolve this problem, especially if it becomes necessary for a qualified service provider to be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, or troubleshooting.

Is there any additional information you would like to add that was not mentioned before?