Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a nordic hot tub, the dual speed motor seemed to

Customer Question

I have a nordic hot tub, the dual speed motor seemed to working very hard, and would kick the breaker. I ordered a new motor and have installed. Prior to replacing, the breaker would work, the hot tub would run, until you tried to run the high jets, then it would kick the breaker. Now, with the new motor installed, the hot tub won't even start, kicks the breaker immediatly and won't allow the tub to turn on. I have confirmed my wiring is correct. Is there a reset panel on this tub?
JA: Who manufactured the hot tub?
Customer: Nordic
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't believe so. Tub is about 7 years old.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 2 months ago.

Well it sounds to me like you have a weak breaker. When the old pump would run on low speed it was pulling very few amps probably like 4 amps, once high speed pump kicked in the large amp draw made it trip. Now you put a new pump in and the breaker will not even stay on, so I would go buy a new breaker and replace it then test you should be good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the response, I thought the same thing, it is less than a year old, maybe 9 months (outside breaker box). There is a click in side the control box when I try to reset the breaker back to on. Would that be anything in the control box to be concerned about?Thank you,Kevin

I dont think it is anything to worry about yet. When you turn on power the circuit board tries to boot up then the pump 1 will come on and lastly the heater but with a weak breaker it may not get the chance to boot. It could be something in the spa that is causing the trip but usually a breaker trip that is immediate is a weak breaker so putting in a new breaker solves that possibility then we move onto the inert's of the control system. Heaters are known for tripping breakers as well. You can try disconnecting the wires on the heater and putting electrical tape on them and try resetting breaker.