James Hankins
James Hankins, Technician
Experience:  Maintenance Supervisor/Account Manager at Sears Pool Management Consultants
99296952

I had the filter sand changed. It doesn't seem like the

Customer Question

I had the filter sand changed. It doesn't seem like the filter works. I vacuum and the water is cloudy. The pool water is blue but VERY cloudy. The vacuum suction is good. Alkalinity is high, the others ok. I shock once a week and add Super Blue. I add metal magic as I add water.
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: Help.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: That depends on what needs doing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I need to know how to clear the water. Is the filter working??
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  James Hankins replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to try and help you figure this out! I just need to get a little information from you first. What's the working pressure on the filter? It should be somewhere between 18 and 22 psi. If it's lower than that, you're not getting very good flow to the filter, which means it's going to take much longer to filter out that cloudiness.

The cloudiness might be a result of the high alkalinity, especially if your calcium hardness level is high, also. Would you be able to give me the results of a water test? I'm curious about the sanitizer (chlorine, bromine or salt?), the current pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and stabilizer (cyanuric acid) level. Knowing the levels of these might help to narrow down what's causing the problem.

In the meantime, if the filter pressure is good, then you might consider using either a clarifier or a flocculant to get rid of the cloudiness. I'd suggest a clarifier, since you can add that to the pool and then let the filter do the work. Just make sure to watch the pressure on the filter, since you'll definitely have to backwash soon after using a clarifier. If you use a flocculant, you'll have to vacuum out the particulate that's causing the cloudiness after it settles to the bottom.

Remember, if you have more questions on this topic or need clarification, just post here and it will notify me. I'll respond as quickly as I'm able. But if you find this information helps you solve your problem, don't forget to rate my answer 3 stars or higher!

Hey, there! Just checking in with you to see if you were able to take care of the problem, or if you had any other questions related to this issue. If you do, let me know by responding here! But if you found this answer helpful and you were able to fix it, please don't forget to rate my answer!