James Hankins
James Hankins, Technician
Experience:  Maintenance Supervisor/Account Manager at Sears Pool Management Consultants
99296952

I have a new power-flo matrix sp1592 lfp pump that stopped

Customer Question

I have a new power-flo matrix sp1592 lfp pump that stopped working. It hums, but won't turn on. According to the troubleshooting section of the manual, the problem may be that the "Centrifugal switch is stuck in open." That said, I have no idea how to check and or fix it. Can you help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Thanks. Just happened about 30 mins ago
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on how involved it is. I'm not a manual kinda guy, so if its not simple and straight-forward, I won't be able to do it myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just a bit of background on the pump. It was purchased and installed, along with the new above ground pool, in late April of this year. The company I purchased it from also did the install. I have registered the pump just in case it needs to be replaced.
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: atlantic. the name of the pool is "vista"
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  James Hankins replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to try and help you with this issue! So the motor is humming, but no water is moving through the pump, is that right? And I assume it was working correctly after the installation and only now is having problems?

The centrifugal switch is a possible cause. Based on what you've said about being able to do the work yourself, replacing that would be very difficult because it involves dismantling the motor quite a bit to reach that switch.

Another thing that might be causing this is the thermal safety switch. If the motor is getting too hot, this will shut the motor off and usually trip the breaker, also. Or it might be that a wire has come loose from the connector in the motor; sometimes the vibration of the motor can cause this to happen. That, you might be able to check yourself. You'd first turn the breaker off to the motor (if it's not already tripped) and then remove the cover of the wiring panel, where the electricity is wired up to the motor. You can visually look to see if any wires are loose or disconnected.

The motor and installation should still be under warranty, however. Have you contacted whoever installed it to see about repairing it?

Hey, there! Just checking in to see if you were able to figure out the issue. If not, feel free to let me know and we can keep working on the problem. If you were able to take care of it, though, please let me know. I'm curious to know what was causing it. Have a nice day!