David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

Just put a new heater in my 2006 hot springs vanguard,

Customer Question

Just put a new heater in my 2006 hot springs vanguard, heater breaker trips, even with heater wires disconnected it trips, this is an iq2020. Removed heater board and no burn marks, odd reading from larger board only 180v across red and black??
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  David Bowden replied 2 months ago.

Hello… my name is ***** ***** I am very knowledgeable in this subject to help answer your question, would you like my expert advice today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure would, already sent my $30
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need to pay another $24????

I​ don't think so...

please give me a few moments to type my response which will appear shortly.

Please note that you have asked a specific question that I may or may not be able to help you answer or resolve this problem, however I will continue to try to the best of my ability.

you should have 220v coming out of the control box to power your heating element

with only 180v however, I suspect there is internal damage in the control box

when the old element failed it is possible and probable it sent the electricity backwards and may has caused other damage

hot springs has a cautionary section directly related to the heater and any additional electrical not by design will cause irreversible damage

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pulled both boards and dont see damage
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The old heater was not bad, just old

As a qualified expert, I am only able to offer you some basic and specific advice via this email/text, which may or may not have been sufficient enough to answer your question right now to your satisfaction.

Something is causing you to only get 180v and not 220v, as well as making the breakers trip. They are tripping due to something causing a direct short.

It may become necessary for you to contact a qualified local service provider, who has the proper testing equipment and can perform much more detailed onsite troubleshooting, after which they can discuss the best cost worthy solutions with you.

w​ith the element disconnected you are still receiving a direct short from somewhere

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
LED d17 is lit red?

U​nfortunately, I am unable to help much more over the internet. If you can't locate anything obvious, you may need to contact a qualified local service provided to better troubleshoot and determine the cause.

once you can solve the short causing the breakers to trip, you should have 220v going into and out of the control box. If a different voltage, then there is still a problem and the heater won't work properly.

Thank you for allowing me to help answer and possibly resolve your question today, however before you log off I ask that you please take a few seconds and consider selecting the 5-STAR rating located on the rating box which will complete and close out your question.

Please note the rating itself does not agree to or acknowledge complete overall satisfaction, it merely signifies that I have acted in a professional manner and made a reasonable attempt to help answer your question to the best of my ability, based on my experience.

If you have any disputes or feel that this site didn’t perform to your expectations, please contact customer service/support to request a refund.

S​orry I can't be of more help to you, I think your best option is contacting a qualified company to further troubleshoot the problem.

I hope you found this advice helpful. Should you have additional questions, just let me know.

Thanks again and good luck,

Dave

Service Notice: All Hot Spring spa models are equipped with a power indicator which, in addition to showing the spa has power to it, has a diagnostic function as well. It will begin blinking if the heater high-limit thermostat has tripped. If the power indicator light is blinking, follow the instructions in the Troubleshooting section to identify and correct the cause. The power indicator will stop blinking once the problem has been corrected.

I​f you can locate the high-limit thermostat, it may have a reset feature and that may give you your 220v and correct the breakers tripping.