Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Im trying to vacuum my pool and every time i put the hose…

Customer Question
Im trying to vacuum...

Im trying to vacuum my pool and every time i put the hose with the end "cap" i loose suction within a few minutes

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

Its an above ground pool dont remember 4 ft oval had for 10 yrs havent had this issue before have cleaned out the filter twice now and believe filter is now clean but this suction thing is driving me crazy Pool filter appears to be working and when primed will push water out into pool and see wtaer getting pulled thru skimmer basket but then ... when put the hose attachment over it ...it seems to connect ok ... makes a few gurgling noises .. but then within 1 to 3 min looses suction all together and comes loose .... ??

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes im trying need a little help diagnosing where issue is

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

You tell me Again issue is maintaining suction while trying to vacuum it looks like something is up with the connection that round "Top" that you connect or put on top of the filter basket hole again it appears to connect and be working makes a few noises maybe a leak in the gasket ?? and then will loose suction and come loose

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
7/29/2017
Pool and Spa Expert: Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition replied 11 months ago
Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition

OK so it sounds like what is happening is that you are sucking in air somewhere. You need to check the following:

Water level in pool needs to be above the level of the hose cuff where it connects to skimmer

Check your vacuum hose and the cuff ends tends to loosen or crack and that allows air to get drawn in when you get the intense suction from the pump.

If you are using a vacuum plate on the skimmer it may have a crack in it.

I have found that one of these three issues is almost always the cause.