Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

My recirc pump failed in my old Caldera spa. It was a model

Customer Question

My recirc pump failed in my old Caldera spa. It was a model SB909, which I understand is no longer manufactured.
I replaced it with model 74427.The new pump runs, it pumps water out the recirc outlet, but doesn't generate enough pressure to activate the pressure switch. So I get 'FLO' messages flashing on and off on the LCD display.The old pump had 1 inch inlet and outlet. The new pump has 3/4 inch.With Jets 1 on, the water flow rate out the recirc outlet is very fast. The FLO indication goes away, and the water heater light turns on.What should I do?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 3 months ago.

Circulation pumps are interchangeable between manufacturers. Just be sure the voltage and HP are the same, most circulation pumps small ones are 1/15th of a horse power I would look online for a circ with the same size inlet and out let of the old pump.

Look at this: http://www.pool-spa-supplies.com/laing-circulation-pump-sm-909-nhw-14-1-115v

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It turns out that the pump that I bought is indeed the recommended replacement for caldera spas. My problem was air leaks. When the pump got really going it would suck in enough air to make the pump lose vacuum. It would then power cycle. The solution was as simple as really tightening the pipe clamps on the inlet side.