Fix my Pool and Spa
Fix my Pool and Spa, Owner / Technition
Experience:  Over 24 years in pool and spa service and construction
30729442

I have a 2011 780 series Sundance Hawthorne. I have a leak

Customer Question

I have a 2011 780 series Sundance Hawthorne. I have a leak in the back of the tub which as you know is covered with hard foam. What is the easiest way to locate the leak without tearing everything apart? Is there a schematic of the plumbing I can give me a good indication of where to start?
JA: How severe is the problem? And when did this start?
Customer: It's a slow drip and appears to have started sometime during the winter/early spring.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just repaired the wet end in one of the motors.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 3 months ago.

OK well there is no easy way to find a leak in a solid foam spa. One way is to add dye to the water and then remove the panel and look for the discolored foam and then dig out until you find the leak. Another is to get a 24-36" wooden dowel and start poking into foam on the back side each time you pull out the dowel check to see if it is wet, once you find it wet start digging there until you get to the leak. I am VERY familiar with Sundance spas as I have been servicing them for over 12 years and I can tell you if it is in the back side opposite the topside control it is most likely the waterfall that is leaking. I would remove the back panel and dig out the foam up under the water fall and find the water line leading to that and most likely you will find the waterfall leaking at the bottom.

Expert:  Fix my Pool and Spa replied 2 months ago.

Any luck finding the leak?