James I
James I, Pool Plant Manager
Experience:  10 years experience in managing water quality, pumps, UV, Dosage, lighting and filtration systems.
75959378

I have a hot springs jester spa about 7 years old. Today

Customer Question

I have a hot springs jester spa about 7 years old. Today went to use it and completely dead. No power. Checked outlet and it is fine. There is usually a red light lit up on plug but nothing. Tried gfi but not clicking.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  James I replied 4 months ago.

Hi Joann,

Can you attach a picture of the plug, I want to make sure we are talking about the same type of plug.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  James I replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the pictures, have you tried plugging something else into the socket such as table lamp just to prove the socket is providing power?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Outlet is working.
Expert:  James I replied 4 months ago.

If the outlet is working this suggest you must have a faulty plug, as its not going into a non trip state.

The replacement plug would depend on the current (Amp) load, but would imagine the one here would be appropriate for $20.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How would I know if it a faulty plug or something in the hot tub itself? Is there a reset or fuse in the hot tub that might be out?
Expert:  James I replied 4 months ago.

The plug you have is designed to trip if there is a ground leakage fault, there are fuses on the control board which is the other end where the wires will terminate within the hot tub.

I would expect the plug to reset without issue, the fact it doesn't is more likely to point to a faulty plug, a way of proving earth leakage is by using a multi meter and checking to see if you have continuity between live and ground or neutral and ground, There ground should have no continuity (it should be open circuit), its only when a fault occurs such as a faulty heater that the ground wire conducts electricity and at which point the plug would trip.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is way beyond my skill level. I think I will just have to schedule repair from an expert. I was hoping you could tell me a simple solution.
Expert:  James I replied 4 months ago.

This isn't any more complicated than hanging a plug, from the fault you have described.

The video here shows the general principle for how to wire the new GFI plug.